The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prop shaft noises

supna

Recently I have started to have a knocking noise come from the back end of the car which I thought was the exhaust. After checking the exhaust and concluding it was'nt that, so I think I figured out that the it is the prop shaft knocking as the car pulls away. The strange thing is this only knocks or clonks when the car has been driven for a while. My questions are:

1) Should the prop shaft turn at all by hand if I am under the car checking it?

2) Are these the effects of the differential not having a) enough oil or b) no oil.

BTW the car is an sz with the factory lsd fitted.

Thanks

So would replacing the diff oil be a good move then??? I am guessing that I have very little or old oil in the diff and when it gets warm it is thinning out and not lubricating properly. Anyone know how much oil and what type to use on the differential. Also where the drain plug and the refill holes are, would be gratefully apprieciated.

Ta

Ooh, Mine is not that bad, there is a slight clonk if you back off the revs at low speeds, but nothing that would make me worry. Dunno then, you could check the diff oil, the plug is easy to get to, there is a fill plug on the side and the drain on the bottom. If you remove the side fill one you should see some oil drain out, it should only be filled to this point. Hope this is of some help.