The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Questions about NA-TT transplant

jonathanc

Right, since I can't seem to sell the Sup I might consider doing a NA-TT transplant. However, I have a few questions that I hope kind members here could answer :

1) How hard is it with the insurance company if I do that? I have paid full 1 year (for the discount) so will they invalid my insurance if I do a NA-TT transplant? How about other official stuff? Is it very tricky?

2) How much should I budget for the whole process? I would ideally like a manual with the TT (my car is Auto at the moment). The 5 speed would be enough for me. Ideally I would like to keep the car close to stock as possible.

3) How long would the whole process take? Should I declare everything with my insurance+DVLA while it is taking place or is there a "grace period" ?

4) Can anyone recommend me a good garage to carry out this transplant? Hopefully there's one in Scotland :p Is it somewhat possible to have my car transported to the garage and back (if its too far) ?

5) Will the garage source everything or do I have to sort my own bits?

6) Is it hard to re-sell if I undertake this transplant?

Sorry for all the noob questions but would very much like some honest answers ;) Thanks.

1: I am with Adrian Flux and it was a very simple process. I just pay an extra £90 a year.

2: I paid £2.3 just for the TT conversion as I had a manual anyway. I suggest asking Keron how much the the gearbox conversion also.

3: Mine took just over a week for it all to be done.

4. Keron done mine and he is in Leicester. I had my car transported to and from Jersey so it is possible. Ask Konrad or Suprash for a quote on transportation, they both offer great services.

5: If you take it to Keron, he supplies everything that is needed. I courced the clutch and bov myself.

6: If you are keeping it pretty much standard then you shouldnt have any problems selling it. Most people would worry about trying to push big numbers thru a 5 speed box.

Hope this helps.

I would say at the bare minimum you will need a different gearbox (W58 will suffice), so if you say 3k for it all, and you wanted 5k for your car originally, I dont think you would get anywhere near 8k if you needed to sell it on quickly. Have a good think about it.

I would say at the bare minimum you will need a different gearbox (W58 will suffice), so if you say 3k for it all, and you wanted 5k for your car originally, I dont think you would get anywhere near 8k if you needed to sell it on quickly. Have a good think about it.

Good advice as well. I was initially expecting at least 4.5k as I have seen good Auto TTs going for around 6.5-7k which I can afford.

Yeah, I guess I will have a good think about it. It's just real hard to shift my car at the moment even though its in good nick.