The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Noises

Paul Laing

I was told by a few people on here and on SF that this is normal, but i just wanted to know if maybe i changed the gearbox oil it might cure it slightly? I have put 6,000 miles on the Supra and havn't changed the gearbox oil, Engine oil but not gearbox oil, should i change this?

The noise is when going slow in a low gear, when you take your foot off the pedal theres a slight clunk, like something loose under the engine, the car drives spot on and has recently had a new clutch and flywheel fitted, toyota items. Is this just the Getrags clunky gearbox or should it need the oil replaced?

What other sounds/clunks are normal with the 6 speed box? My cars done 64k miles now.

Thanks, any info would be great

Paul :thumbs:

Changing the oil aint gonna hurt m8, but u must make sure it's the right type innit.:)

The box on mine makes a noise in 1st & 2nd when going slowly, and it clunks a little if you 'tap' the throttle. All normal i rekon!;) :cool:

(The box on me car i meant, Not the furry one in bed!!:p )

I was told that the light clunk you can hear and "feel" when coming gently on or off the throttle was the dual mass flywheel heading for retirement by CW.

It's the sort of clunk that I'm not sure a passenger would notice but as the driver you definitely do. I can get it in any of the lower gears coming on or of the throttle gently, almost feels as if there's a little bit of play/movement in the propshaft or something in that general area.

Do these sound like similar symptoms chaps?

Funny how you have a new flywheel Paul and still get it, maybe my flywheel is not "showing its age" afterall. Either that or your's has had some accelerated ageing!

Dan

Don't worry about gearbox noises, they are very common on the 6-speeds. Even with brand new gearbox oil change there was a slight noise on mine.

Obviously if it keeps getting worse then there may be a problem.

It requires special Getrag gearbox oil if I remember correctly, which is not cheap !! :(

Cheers for the comments lads, i think it's just a normal noise i'm getting, will change the oil in the gearbox first and see if that cures it slightly, if the problem gets worse then i'll have it checked out, just wanted to see if other people have clunky boxes :p

Cheers,

Paul