The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello Dorset/Hants and everybody else!

Guest Richsupra

Guest Richsupra

Hi I bought my first supra n/a last August (inspired by my friend lucasl's TT) but since then I've had so much fun and trouble free driving of it I haven't got round to saying hello!

But I thought now would be a good time as I have put it on pistonheads and am thinking about looking for a TT, but would like some opinions as to whether i should get a manual or an auto?

I'm based near Ringwood, New Forest.

Rich (21)

1998 SZ Manual N/A Quicksilver

Edited by Richsupra (see edit history)

Guest Richsupra
Hiya.

Awsome part of the uk, I used to live in Bournemouth and really enjoyed driving the costline.

Good luck with your search.

:)

Thanks yeah it's a great area to drive around.

Hello Rich. Best thing to do is drive both an auto and a manual. Would you miss having to change the gears manually?

Welcome rich,the auto is a nice drive although i suppose its personal preference

Well I had been thinking of a manual because I reckon I would miss changing gear, but then recently someone told me they had driven both and that the auto was better, but I didn't find out why.

Sounds like it was just his preference really and I supose the best way is to get a drive of both and see which I like better, but easier said than done :)

I had an NA manual and went to an auto TT.

If you are getting the car for the speed for yourself and just to put your foot down in situations like straight dual carriageways etc.. auto is fine and good. If your wanting to beat something on a twisty road the auto will do it but you need to be more carefull then the manual.

If you want full Rev / Gear control for some twisty driving id prefer the manual i think. However sat in traffic i love the auto and it is actually a very good box.

I work in ringwood so not sure if seen you about.

Guest Richsupra
welcome to the site mate, it's a debatable subject manual or auto, i personally like manuals have more control on twisties imo, but the auto box is a very good choice also.

Thanks. Where I live there are a lot of twisties so I think it will be a manual.

I had an NA manual and went to an auto TT.

If you are getting the car for the speed for yourself and just to put your foot down in situations like straight dual carriageways etc.. auto is fine and good. If your wanting to beat something on a twisty road the auto will do it but you need to be more carefull then the manual.

If you want full Rev / Gear control for some twisty driving id prefer the manual i think. However sat in traffic i love the auto and it is actually a very good box.

I work in ringwood so not sure if seen you about.

Cool, I think it will be manual then because I like to be in full control of the revs and I would be driving it evenings and weekends mostly and trying to avoid traffic :)

I work in Southampton so I'm probably there when you are at work. I haven't seen you yet but I will keep a lookout for an abflug, I would like to see one and it can't be easy to miss!

Guest Richsupra
:welcome:

Thanks Vicky, I see you're getting an NA-TT conversion. I was thinking about getting an NA-TT conversion done instead of selling and getting a TT, but I'm scared the result wouldn't be as good as if I got a TT. Where are you getting yours done? Is it going to be expensive/involve a lot of upgrading parts?

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, hope to come to a meet sometime soon depending on whether the Supra sells sooner or later. May be able to make it down to the Portland lunch meet in April but will have to see. Otherwise attending a st.leanards meet would be more practical for me, heard that they used to happen?

I was also wondering, does anybody know if putting a supercharger on an NA would be a good idea rather than a turbo? Would it make much difference/can it be done?

Or alternatively a remap or something? I'm thinking these may be a better options than spending more on putting the TT engine in or putting a turbo on the NA?

Thanks, Rich

If you have an NA you have spent an uber amount of money on and its manual especially a 6 speed later model you'd be daft to sell and get a tt. Much better to get a conversion done somewhere reputable. If however your car isn't spectacular, and you have little emotional tie to it then a sale and buy a TT is better. The NA market for manuals is still quite strong in comparison to the TT auto for instance. The cost of the gearbox conversion being in the region of £2k plus keeps the manual ones about that much above its equivalent auto tt. Welcome to the site and welcome to the area.