The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop removal question

Cerikbok

Popped the top off for the first time today, and besides realizing how bad I need a front strut brace I noticed what would be defined as "eyebrows" that come from above the front windscreen. The little plastic bits that seem to be spring loaded and make a terrible howling noise when traveling at speed. How is one to deal with these? Are they supposed to stay down and mine are just knackered?

Hi Cerickbok,

Ref skuttle-shake on the aero, I fitted a turret brace to mine, recommend you go with the one supplied by Nick through Import pimp, and with the roof off, it did reduce the shake a little, but the biggest improvement on my Aero came from fitting new tyres! I also fitted new shocks and replaced the JSpec springs with UK spec ones(a lttle softer).

I changed from the 16" originals to 18" with new tyres and it is really like a new car.

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a Nissan Patrol I owned where the front tyres(225 section -16" dia) had gone slightly out of round, not enough to cause any effects at low speed but at 60MPH the steering wheel shake was almost uncontrollable.

With this experience in mind I had a good eye-ball at my tyres which were about three years old(I only do about 3K miles a year in my Sup) and on changing them for new ones along with the suspension mods, the skuttle shake is almost gone!

Hope this helpful.

George