The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine difference

supraspeed

somebody went to the expense of putting a turbo on the na engine ?

Can be done. There are some fairly major differences such as the exhaust ports are offset differently so you can't use a 2jz-gte manifold, however there are some thoughts that the 2jz-ge head flows slightly better.

The pistons are missing the oil squirters and I believe CW has cut one up and reckons that the TT has a little more meat in places. However the NA-T scene is still fairly big out in the states. Sadly it has been screwed up over here with people sticking truck turbos on and wonder why things go pop.

well i sorta bought the car on impulse a year ago and was told the engines were the same just with a turbo on. now i'm having second thoughs but now ive got the bodywork etc exactly how i want it and i'd rather just spend a bit under the bonnet rather than flog it for not a lot. even though the whole car is in fantastic condition as ive had sooo much time and cash spent on it, i dont really want to spend a fortune if it will be ok on the current setup

the bottom end on an NA (pre vvti) is identical to a TT, the pistons are higher compression on an na but the crank and rods are the same. TT has a thicker headgasket which is how it get its lower comp. The na uses thinner headgasket and high comp pistons. NA has sh!tty little injectors which need changing and also has no oil squirters mounted to the webs. Most na-t guys in the us dont care about oil squirters anyway and say they would rather keep the oil pressure for other places rather than for oil squirters, i've heard honda guys say this aswell so i'm inlcined to agree. The NA also uses dizzy ignition as opposed to coil on plug. NA heads flow better on the exhaust side than a TT but TT flows better on inlet side so i'm led to believe. NA has silly intake manifold with to stage intake tracts, one short main one and a secondary one that is used to improve lowend torque. This folds over the top of the engine exiting over the exhaust which just makes things harder when fitting a turbo as it will be hard enough making a single fit past the dizzy without trying to keep the IC piping from getting to close to the turbo.