The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to secure numberplate to bumper mesh

Pabs

Hey peeps,

As per title really - my car doesn't have a front number plate on at the moment as Paul E was able to get away with it in the windscreen. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get away with this so I need to get the number plate onto the front of the car.

I was thinking the best option for me is to attach it to the bumper mesh. I know Paul had it like this before, but I don't know what to use to hold the plate to it with? I'm thinking something like wrapping it around the mesh with wire, but this could look tacky.

What has everyone else done?

Cheers

I'm not sure if I would fit it in the bumper aperture as it's obviously going to interfere with the air on it's way to the radiator.

If you're wanting to fix it to the mesh then put something smaller(chop up an old number plate or something similar) than the plate behind the mesh and screw into that with some self tappers.

Or if you want to stick it on then attach something thin on either side of the mesh held together with some countersink screws and then stick it on with some velcro or double sided tape.

Loads of different ways to do it. :)

What about drilling two holes either side of the plate, Then use a couple of thin tie-straps?

That is the method I think that was used before on this car. I am worried about blocking airflow to the rad though, although most people have a number plate in this region?

I don't know where else to put the plate to be honest - I want to keep it legal (although may get a legal smaller import plate for the front, not 100% sure yet) and I definately DON'T want a stick-on plate.

That is the method I think that was used before on this car. I am worried about blocking airflow to the rad though, although most people have a number plate in this region?

I don't know where else to put the plate to be honest - I want to keep it legal (although may get a legal smaller import plate for the front, not 100% sure yet) and I definately DON'T want a stick-on plate.

I really dont think it will cut the air flow too much