The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rev counter

AgtX80

Im wondering if theres something going wrong with my rev counter, should the rev counter needle always move smoothly? When i put the pedal to the metal in overdrive mode on my auto, the gear shifts down & the needle shoots up to 6krpm, then if i lift off it snaps back down to 3k or whatever. Seems odd to me. Also sometimes it doesnt seem to pick up acceleration straight away either. Its better if i wind it up slower, not just pedal flat to the floor.

Should i be worried?

i only bought it a couple of weeks ago, its a fresh import. So they replaced the clocks & delimited it. So maybe they did it wrong?

Say im going 70mph & i want to pass something quite fast, i floor it, it kicks down & it accelerates but the needle just shoots right up to 6000rpm. If im not explaining well enough, i will try & make a real note of exactly whats happening when i next drive it. I can tell its not normal anyway from your responses so far :D

i only bought it a couple of weeks ago, its a fresh import. So they replaced the clocks & delimited it. So maybe they did it wrong?

Say im going 70mph & i want to pass something quite fast, i floor it, it kicks down & it accelerates but the needle just shoots right up to 6000rpm. If im not explaining well enough, i will try & make a real note of exactly whats happening when i next drive it. I can tell its not normal anyway from your responses so far :D

That's a better description mate. Originally it sounded as though acceleration was slow when put your foot down but needle still went up. Most likely sounds like a fault with the instrument panel clocks then seeing as they have been altering it. Would take it back to them to get them to check there work.

hmmm it doesnt always pull hard right away though. I will try & get footage.

would still get them to check there work however like i said it doesn't cost anything to check your transmission oil level as insufficient oil can cause gears to slip.

Taken from manual (just incase you didn't know how):

Start the engine and shift the selector into all positions from

”P” through ”L”, and then shift into ”P” position.

With the engine idling, check the fluid level. Add fluid up the

”COOL” range on the dipstick.

Check that the fluid level is in the ”HOT” range at the normal

operating temperature (70–80°C (158–176°F)) and add as

necessary.

NOTICE: Do not overfill.