The mkiv Supra Owners Club

B&M Autobox?

rob wild

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one? and could fill in any details about the box i.e. Reliability compared to BL, How much if any customisation is needed etc etc

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Toyota/Supra_93-98/BM/Transmissions/Transmissions/part/4L60E_Complete_Automatic

For the complete kit it works out at £1700 + delivery.

I'm kind of torn at the moment between Manual and Uprated Autobox :innocent: really not sure what to go for as i really like the manual and think it would freshen the car up for me :eyebrows: but have enjoyed the day to day driving that the auto gives.

I know that what is holding the car back performance wise the autobox followed by fuel system, head work and short block rebuild (oh and probably a drive with a beer belly :D but im working on that :D )

Anyway and advice would great :)

Cheers Rob

It's a universal transmission, someone else was asking about them a while back - would take a bunch of custom bits to make it work. Would be tough as old boots though!

Cheers,

Brian.

Cheers Brain :) Any ideas on the customisation needed? who would be the best person to speak too? May be Greg @ Turbofit? Or do you think if i went the uprated autobox route it would be better to just go boostlogic / sound performance etc? I.e with the money involved getting the B&M fitted?

Cheers Rob

glad u asked this actually cus i am in exactly the same situation whether to upgrade auto or go manual.....will be interesting to see peoples views on this!!!

I know matey its a real tough one :) and not easy to decide, well for me its not :)

If you do decide to go build autobox and BL looks like the best may be register your interest here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=114407

Group buy possibilities?

I think you're on the money on who's likely be a good bet to fit one to a Supra, given Greg's project car with a custom fit TH400 based transmission. Give him a call and see what he says?

RE: The BL autobox - excellent transmission (I've got one), shifts fast and hard giving the feeling it could cope with a decent amount of power. I did manage to break one but was covered under warranty so I'm still a happy punter - the jury's out on whether it was me manually shifting it the odd time that broke it lol :eyebrows:

On the grounds of cost, power handling ability (rated to 700lb/ft torque I think) and ease of install, it's very hard to dismiss the Boostlogic unit. You have to spend a lot more to go TH400 that's a kit designed to fit the Supra and you really do start to leave the realms of what can be considered a daily driver, given they are 3-speeds with no overdrive. Boostlogic also offer such a TH400 kit if that's what you want, that will handle however much torque you care to throw at it (1000lb/ft +).

Cheers,

Brian.

I am going to subscribe in here as I am also interested in what to do with my gearbox. I am on the cusp of ripping out the auto and sticking in a 6 speed instead as I'm no fan of the auto box and a single turbo.

Have you tried with a hi stall?

Ok so options please feel free to add and amend :)

BL autobox:

Reliability: Good

Cost: £2200 inc delivery

Problems: Must have good cooling due to excessive heat

Drivability: ?

B&M Autobox:

Cost: £1700 + delivery

Problems: Needs customisations to fit

Sound Performance autobox

Reliability: ?

Cost: ?

Problems: ?

Virtual Works TH400 Conversion Kit - Shifter Included

Reliability: ?

Cost: £3399.5

Problems: ?

Manual Upgrade:

Reliability: Suppose to be very strong

Cost: £3000

Problems: Needs uprated clutch

Any more options feel free to add for us to get a balance view :)

Leon has an excellent reputation but I would like to see one of his boxes proven before claims of 1,000bhp+ especially when we're talking Toyota based autobox.

Maybe one of you could point this thread out to Dusty to see if we can turn this into a group buy. Just now it looks like maybe 3 people? Group buys tend to be 10+

Cheers,

Brian.

How much is a TC these days? No I haven't tried a high stall yet. I didn't see any point in putting anything into a box that may suffer from critical failure due to excessive power. A high stall won't stop that from happening I assume. The BL box seems to be the best value for money here as the exchange rate is very very favourable right now and £1800 plus a TC adds up to more than £2200 doesn't it? The BL comes with a choice of TC yeah or nay?

Not as such, think it's just an extra $750 for a precision industries TC of your choice. I went with a 4,000 stall with drag in mind.

A hi stall TC makes a big difference to the pick up / preceived lag of a single'd auto car, that's why I asked.

Also worth noting you'll need suitable auto trans cooling with the BL autobox and a hi stall - suggest a fluidyne with SPAL puller fan for BPU cars and a total of 2 or 3 trans rads depending what kinda torque you're putting through the poor trans.

Mine is BPU and I'm now running 3 as a precaution / in preparation for when I do go single (whenever that may be!) and run more power.

Cheers,

Brian.

It's not so much of an issue when you run regular stall speed DB - the hi stall TC's generate a lot of trans heat.

I think dude used to run 4 or 5 trans coolers on his in the end but they were the smaller fluidyne ones iirc. I've got one of the smaller fluidynes (from MVP) with a SPAL pull fan on the back of it and two of the mahoosive trans cooler rads from K14 Sup's recent group buy.

Cheers,

Brian.

Ok so another option

BL autobox:

Cost: £2200 inc delivery

Problems: Must have good cooling due to excessive heat

B&M Autobox:

Cost: £1700 + delivery

Problems: Needs customisations to fit