The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need service with timing belt - lowest cost possible

Polemarch

Hi all.

Got my car from Car Imports Direct last year on 62k (miles) and don't know when it had its belt changed last. Now I am on 81k and thinking it is time for the belt n service or else something nasty could happen? I need any servicing/work carried out in or near Bristol.

Funds are very, very limited at the moment with changing house etc so I need to spend the bare minimum but don't want the car spoiled.

Question 1: Is there a way to check the belt to see if it needs doing? Is it likely to have been changed before?

Question 2: What kind of service do I want and how much should I be paying?

Question 3: What is the bare minimum I can get away with to make sure the car keeps ticking without costing me a fortune.

Thanks all

The bare minimum you can get away with is to leave it alone and see if it breaks. It won't damage anything¹ but obviously the car will be stranded wherever it happens.

They're supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles or every 5 years regardless of mileage.

(¹Assuming you dont have the uber-rare VVTi NA)

The belt on my brothers car went at 75k and needed the engine top end to be rebuilt, it was a Rover and cost him a fair bit. Does the Supra have some kind of safety system them to prevent damage?

yes, the Supra (apart from VVTI as jake said) is a non-interference engine so if the belt goes then it shouldn't do any damage at all but just come to a hault leaving you stranded.

I wouldn't really fancy testing this though, especially at high revs and the fact you don't know exactly where the belt is going to go.

Get it changed imo.

According to our workshop book a UK supra is classed as interference?? To be honest I wouldn't like to be in the situation to find out. But others are non interference so you should be fine if it goes. Don't let that be a excuse for not having it done.