The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Few quick questions concerning Jap TT 6spd

Guest elgaz

Guest elgaz

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a Supra which I've driven a few times. The car is a totally stock and standard 1995 Jap 6-speed TT, no modifications whatsoever.

The car drives very smoothly but there are two small things I noticed which could be a sign of bigger problems. It could also mean nothing but I don't know enough about Supras to be sure!

1) When accelerating, the car tends to pull slightly to the left. Ease off and it seems to rein itself back into line. It's quite noticeable at higher speeds. As far as I'm aware the car has never been crashed or damaged (all inspections came up ok) if that helps. It drives fine otherwise, no vibrations or pulling.

2) When changing from 1st-2nd, and occasionally 2-3rd, the gearbox makes a heavy clunk. It's not as bad if you do the gearchange slowly. You can 'feel' the clunk too. Other than that the clutch and gearbox are excellent, smooth and without problem.

I'm wondering could a gearbox mount be responsible for both problems above?

Gaz

Hi mate,

For No-1 anyway my last NA used to do this but the rear shocks and insulators were well worn, problem disappeared after replacing them.

For No-2 Its possible the gearbox has been filled with the wrong oil. It should have Toyota V160 oil.

Mike

1. could be a number of things,could be alignment needs sorting.

2. sounds about right for the getrag box,its tough but very clunky when going through the gears.

:yeahthat: Get an alignment check done, check pressures and for any worn suspension parts etc.

Gearbox is clunky especially when cold, as Mike said check the oil in it and who put it in. If it was Toyota then it might be worth changing the oil as some garages don't believe V160 exists. Always use V160 in a 95 Manual

1 - As said above - get the tracking checked

2 - This is very common, covered loads of time. I believe the distinctive 'clunk/thud' is normal. I've had my car nearly 2 years and 20K miles +...... It's given no problems.

I've driven a few members 6 speed cars including one yesterday - All have that Clunk/Thud.

My car has had the Gearbox/Drive train all checked out to make sure it's ok

Guest elgaz

Thanks for the replies. The car is now mine :D

We got the pulling problem fixed yesterday. Changed 2 rear tyres (they were due anyway) and the problem has disappeared. I had checked the pressure on the old tyres and they were fine so I'm at a loss as to why it caused the car to pull left so noticeably, but in any event the problem is now gone and the car drives perfect.

The gearbox clunk still remains but I'll get the oil changed and see if that helps. Glad to hear it seems to be a common issue and not just on mine.

Thanks

Gaz