The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GTE engine with N/A 5 speed manual????

gsportcars

Hi folks I have just joined up the other day:d

I did perform a search but with no joy.

I actually drive a Lexus IS200turbo but I am fitting a supra TT lump very soon. I have sourced a manual 6 speed gearbox but as you will all know it is costing a packet. A guy has offered me a 5speed manual which he claims is from an older mkIV twin turbo but I never new of a 5 speed TT mkIV??????:tongue:

My question is;

Is he telling the truth?

and

Even if the box is from a N/A supra would there be any forseeable problems with fitting it to a TT engine?? ie: is it strong enough to take 500BHP??

I may also add that the 5 speed box is over £1000 cheaper than the 6 speed.

I thought the r154 came on the 1jz-gte but the N/A mkiv had the w58 box???

I have been on google for about 4 weeks solid now trying to source parts and have read that the r154 is a much stronger box than the w58 that came on the N/A supra as the r154 was designed with a turbo'd engine in mind.

I could be wrong but if the r154 fits with no probs and it is the stronger of the two then it would prob suit fine.

The R154 is used on the MA71 (7M-GTE) and JZA70 (1JZ-GTE) Mk3 Supras, and the JZZ30 Soarer TT (1JZ-GTE)... and some trucks, I believe. You need the JZA70/JZZ30 bellhousing to mate it to the 2JZ, which is the tricky part. Ask on http://www.mkiiisupra.net.

The W58 is in the N/A JZA80, the 3-litre Soarer/SC300, and the other Mk3 Supras, and is supposed to be weaker but smoother than the R154.

Boostlogic do a fitting kit to mate the R154 to the Mk4 engine and as already said is much stronger than the W58 box which tend to strip the teeth off the cogs at high torque

I went on to Boostlogic's web site but the part is not listed one there. I take it Boostlogic is in the states???:search:

Do you know if it is readily available and what kinda money it is??

• 3 months later...