The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel pump help!!

Guest gzaerojon

Guest gzaerojon

i had nothing to do today so i thought i'd fit my new walbro thats been sitting on the shelf for months now.

i have got the old one out with ne probs, but looking at the old pump against the walbro pump the pipe is on the opposite side. i cant turn the pump 180 round as the filter/pick up will face the wrong way. before i bugger it up completely i just thought id eliminate the possibility of me trying to fit the wrong pump.

Also if it is correct then am i right in thinking that the blue wire (old pump loom) connects to the red (walbro loom)?? and black to black i asume?:shrug:

see pic

WALBRO-STANDARD.JPG

Sounds like you've got a 341 instead of a 342. No major drama, the only difference is the orientation of the outlet pipe and exlectrical connections.

I've fitted a few of these for people and it's fairly easy to fit the 341 though. Carefully bend the pipe to a straighter angle and it should fit alright. I used a cable tie around the pump and bracket as an extra bit of peace of mind.

You're right about the blue to red connection.

Guest gzaerojon

i got it with the car still sealed up.

ok i have very carefully bent (or reformed as we call it in the trade) it into place. but the pipe has a couple or kinks in it now, i didn't notice it at first or i would've stopped. i would say it has reduced the inside by a 3rd. is this going to reduce the flow and put too much load on the pump? or can i cut it back and use a piece of fuel pipe instead?

Guest gzaerojon

i guess i could cut it back, but i would need a flang in the end, i wonder if a brake line tool would do it. also the piece of pipe im using will actually cover up all the pipe to the weld point. but im just nod sure about the restriction from the kink.

see pics (best i can do with my cam)

Kink 2.JPG

Kink1.JPG

Guest gzaerojon

very true, if i was to cut it back, would a decent rubber fuel pipe in place of a small piece of the metal pipe hold the presure ok? or does ruber pipe inflate slightly under pressure hence metal piping being used?

yeah since the consequences of lack of fuel are so severe and costly, it would be wise not to use the kinked pipe!!! just in case.

I would have thought that a longer length of rubber pipe would be ok (if it's the decent stuff) but yeah flanging the end of the remaining metal pipe would be wise, if you have cut it back, just in case it slips off - but I expect you can get away with out flaging it if you had too. Maybe use two decent hose clips to be sure it's secured firmly!

Guest gzaerojon

i have cut off the kinked section of the steel pipe and used a piece of new fuel pipe threaded all the way to the top covering the steel pipe and added a couple of fuel clamps just in case. the red line in the pic is where i cut the steel pipe.

i have added a picture of it as it is now before i fit it tonight, so you can let me know what you all think?

i dont wanna get this wrong :flame:

also whats the idea of bare wires submerged in fuel? i have used a couple of crimp conectors (blue circle in pic) is this gonna be ok?

also used a couple of stort pieces of fuel pipe opened up for the top and bottom of the pump body and a couple of jubilee clips to secure it all.

does this all look good?:blush:

Fuel pump.JPG

nice one, fuel pipe looks good. I hate those connectors but at least it looks like you staggered them a bit so they shouldn't short out.

I don't think it matters that they are not water/fuel tight, so long as they are well insulated so they can't cause a spark.

I soldered mine at staggared positions and then used 3 layers of heatshrink, two for each wire and one to bind the whole thing together. Probably a bit OTT but I was paranoid of fuel and wiring lol

Guest gzaerojon

with the connectors i hate them too so i pushed out the the centres first, coated the wires in solder, crimped them and then heated them up so it all melted together, then i just slid the blue covers over. i staggered them just in case. i still dont like the idea of wires in fuel though so i might redo it and change it for heat shrink....

i know it looks like im making a drama out of it all but im just sooo paranoid i'll get it wrong

Crimp connectors are fine if used with a propper crimping tool.

I'd suggest filling the tank with fuel then re-checking the rubber hose in a week or so. I've found that some petrol hose is not suitable for submerging in fuel and starts to fall apart. - Hopefully the stuff you've used will be fine, but it's worth checking, just to be safe.

Guest gzaerojon

true, i've had the same sort of thing with motorbike fuel pipes before.

its all installed now, i'll fill it up and leave it sitting for a few weeks.

thanks for all your help guys:clap: