The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Noise... from the wheel? :(

Ben-san

Hey guys 'n' gals. Thanks in advance for reading this post, my baby's sick and I'm looking for a doctor in the house... :(

A noise has been worsening over the past month, and seems to emanate from the front left wheel. I'm not sure what it is, but here's my best text description:

1. It's as if you're sitting on a new leather chair for the first time. A kind of squeek/slight squawk. I've slowed it right down in and listened to it, and I can only describe it as catwoman walking in her latex.

2. It's definitely wheel motion related - but only happens after a good few miles on the road, and not from cold. So, as I speed up, it too becomes faster. Catwoman would now be doing the 100m sprint against L. Christie.

3. To eliminate a pottential cause, I've had a look at the brakes and disks and there's no unusual wear from all four corners. There's no uneven wear on the rubber either.

4. :help:

Please let me know your thoughts on this, before someone rips me off for a quote - thank you...

Edit>> Forgot to add: it doesn't happen in reverse (?!)

... and I can only describe it as catwoman walking in her latex.

Well I don't know what the problem is, but that's got to be the best funny noise description ever! :clap:

I guess the obvious culprit is a wheel bearing. You could jack that side up and try and rock the wheel to see if there's any play in it. It's usually the rears that go though, not the fronts.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I was afraid it might be that. I've just got back from town, and after a day of squeak-squawking, and to my surprise it actually faded away for the last eight miles or so home. Well dodge!

Parked up, without any sign of the sound at all, got out and gave the car a wiggle on all four corners again. Now I'm sure that the noise is actually coming from the REAR LEFT. There's no visible play in the wheel... but the squeek is definitely somewhere there.

If it was a bush or bearings, what would it cost me to get it rectified? Should I consider other fixes to eliminate causes, like subframe bolts, alignment etc?

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem - only kicks in after 5 mins of driving, is rotational and gets worse as you go (offside rear). Then will suddenly go quiet?:(

I have looked at bushes, drive shaft and diff and can't find fault with any of them! Doesn't sound like a bearing grind, but like a dry joint or something. It is really pissing me off. Have you had anyone look at it yet?

GAry