The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police Steal Car - Owner pays £105

michael

Bit of an odd one from the weekend, one of the IMOC members brought a Focus with her to the trackday for carrying tyres and it got broken into at the hotel:

Red Ford Focus Recovery at Leeds Colton Travelodge - Saturday 3rd September at 6.45am

Well, it seems my luck was out yesterday as my Ford Focus that had a set of spare tyres, general toolage and my trackday helmets was broken into in the car park to the Leeds Colton Travelogde yesterday morning (Saturday 3rd September). They only took the helmets though (what a bunch of chavs), but the police recovered my vehicle anyway for (I presume) finger printing...

There were about 6 or 7 Mk2's in the car park the previous night, but you all seemed to leave before I got up.

Did any of you see the recovery truck taking my Ford Focus? because i'd like to know exactly how they did it. The invoice says that they took it at 6.45am.

Anybody see it? If so, please tell me how they can move a car that is deadlocked and immobilised, front wheel drive, and has the handbrake on without damaging it?

Thanks,

Anna

(Slightly battered Red Ford Focus and untouched Mica Blue Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC)

Someone pointed out that they might use a hi-ab truck....

Well, it would be nice if they did do that, but it sounds like they only had one of those flat bed things which angles down.... which I think means (although the bloke didn't want to say it) that they just dragged it on with the handbrake on.

I'd leave it in gear all the time if it would stop them from taking my car again, but they prolly just drag it in gear and with the handbrake on and do more damage....

Even though it was the 'law' that moved my car, they only did more damage to it, and that's just not cricket really....

What's more, they charged me £105 for the privelege of dragging my car away so that it could be fingerprinted.... well hey! thanks a bunch!

http://static.flickr.com/32/40133772_e30e92cf0f_m.jpg

Full thread here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=150024#150024

What are your thoughts on this? Surely it can't be right that they can just pick a car up and take it away like this? Even worse that they can charge the owner for the recovery!

Seems odd that they took the car anyway, usually they can't be bothered to even come out for a break in - crime number and call your insurance....

Strange.

I can see why Police have removed this unless it was for Foreinsic purposes, and in my Force the victim wouldn't have to pay for that. It hasn't been removed under statutory powers as it wasn't (i asume) on a road or causing any obstruction. I suggest that the victim gets on to the Officer in the case to clarify what's going on, as I can't see her being able to claim the costs back from her insurance co. As for them damaging her car, suggest she mentions that at the first opportunity and tries to find out wtf is going on.

Wouldn't there be a risk of disturbing any evidence if the car's moved about like that? When a nobhead nicked one of our car's numberplates and tried gettin into the surpa a couple of months ago, the fingerprint man just came to us (even if it did take him 4 hours).

Four hours thats really good! I remember when my girlfriends car was broken into they took so long (as in a couple of days) then called to say 'as it had been raining there was no point in them coming'.