The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Gague Vac Pipe

mikeyb10supra

going to be fitting mine soon just need clarification this is correct, the electrical wires I can connect up to the ashtray light and control on the dimmer switch?? im a bit confused about the Vac hose though, what part of the manifold do I attach to?? also is there an easy way to route the vac pipe into the engine bay area??

Any help would be great

Cheers

Mike

ps its a mechanical gague

... im a bit confused about the Vac hose though, what part of the manifold do I attach to??

I would only use the one next to the MAP sensor (one inch apart from the MAP's pickup point, the one in the yellow circle)

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/stuff/new_boost_pipe_front.jpg

also is there an easy way to route the vac pipe into the engine??

Dead easy if you've got an auto, through the grommet that is normally used for the manual clutch cable

Dead easy if you've got an auto, through the grommet that is normally used for the manual clutch cable

Well thats solved the routing prob then Ta :) Do I pop the pipe of (circled above) and replace with the vac hose?? or attach both and split them with a t-peice?? sorry for the ignorance on this topic, not to familiar with these old boost gagues :help:

Cheers John

Mikey

T-piece of course.

Using that means that even if something goes wrong and pops off, it won't do a 'Jake' on you. I.e. it won't lose the MAP signal and feck off the fuel pressure for good measure.

I still haven't bothered to email mkiv.com and ask them to change their instructions, which are dangerous (well, not the only one that's dodgy there, either...)

Cheers John so just to clarify, your boost gauge vac hose is the blue hose split with a t-peice in the picures above......

the pic above shows my previous setup, which almost cost me the engine (hose popped off under boost and left the engine running dangerously lean)

I was lucky because I picked it up immediately (I was doing tests so was looking at boost gauge and wideband often)

AFR 16:1 at over 1 bar was not funny :eek:

..or is it the one cirled that I need to split similar to how the blue ones are set up????

Tee off the one in the yellow circle, as I said.

mine is a J-spec btw is the procedure any different??

The only difference is that the JSpec depends on the MAP sensor even more :read:

I wouldn't muck about with that hose, even more so as it is also used by the FPR (via a VSV, so it is not immediately obvious)

Mike

I've just said in post #4 of this thread

T-piece of course.

Using that means that even if something goes wrong and pops off, it won't do a 'Jake' on you. I.e. it won't lose the MAP signal and feck off the fuel pressure for good measure.

I still haven't bothered to email mkiv.com and ask them to change their instructions, which are dangerous (well, not the only one that's dodgy there, either...)

in here somewhere? they say to use a t-piece :tumble: sorry if i i'm being stupid, but whereabouts?

OK, this is as clear as I can make it:

The photo I posted shows the MAP signal being teed-off. This is wrong though, it is much better to leave it alone and Tee-off the hose in the YELLOW CIRCLE.

Much safer if something pops off (happened to me)

At some point I'll get a pic of the 'correct' setup and post it in the 'Gotchas & Tips' page of my site (which is pretty much low on Supra material as of now...)

• 5 months later...

yeah peice of piss mate....although I, T-pieced into my dump valve actuator pipe rather that the manifold as John A stated, if you have an aftermarket BOV its easy......hardest part is forcing the pipe onto the t-piece

the lighting wires I connected to my ash tray light with some extra wire I brought from a hardware store....and thats about it really, once you get started, all becomes clear :)

yeah peice of piss mate...

urination wins every time :)

.....hardest part is forcing the pipe onto the t-piece

Nah, you just dip it for a few seconds in a glass of boiling-hot water. You insert the T-piece while it's warm and flexible, then it cools and tightens up.

Then you fit a clamp or a cabletie (because you never know)

Jobsagoodun.

Nah, you just dip it for a few seconds in a glass of boiling-hot water. You insert the T-piece while it's warm and flexible, then it cools and tightens up.

Damn you John A....why did I not get told this before.....ive never cursed so much in all my life + my fingers were ruined at the end of the wrestling match!!

I never knew how much of a pain a T-piece could be until I tried this