The mkiv Supra Owners Club

standard BHP figures

QSC

I know this is probably a stupid question, but does the amount of RPM make a difference to what your BHP figure is when dynoed ? I thought a standard J-spec should produce 280 BHP with a UK at 320, but I just had my J-spec done with a result of 331 BHP at 6406 RPM. The guy said standard was 335 BHP, which the car would achieve if I used Optimax instead of crap fuel - don't quite understand as, as far as I'm aware, the car is completely standard ?

Originally posted by QSC

does the amount of RPM make a difference to what your BHP figure is when dynoed ?

Yeah, course. The peak figure is still the figure quoted though. At what RPM that peak occurs will vary from car-to-car (and run-to-run)
I thought a standard J-spec should produce 280 BHP with a UK at 320, but I just had my J-spec done with a result of 331 BHP at 6406 RPM.
UK spec quoted as either 320bhp or 326bhp. The J-spec is unknown because the Jap car makers weren't allowed to claim over 280BHP. The usual figure seems to be anywhere between 300 and 320BHP afaict.
The guy said standard was 335 BHP, which the car would achieve if I used Optimax instead of crap fuel
You really should be using Super Unleaded fuel and preferably Optimax.

Where did you have this dyno run? (Which company?)

What was the BHP at the rear wheels?

I had it done at Well Lane in Batley - they just gave me the one result, they didn't say it was at the rear wheels or what, just gave me the graph with 331 BHP on it - filled up with Optimax straight away & will keep it that way from now on -

Originally posted by QSC

I had it done at Well Lane in Batley - they just gave me the one result, they didn't say it was at the rear wheels or what, just gave me the graph with 331 BHP on it - filled up with Optimax straight away & will keep it that way from now on -

Well lane are notorious for over reading. Without Optimax you probably have around 310bhp and slightly more with it (and better running). 335bhp being the standard power figure is a load of arse.

Cheers,

Brian.

Originally posted by QSC

Hopefully I will be able to make it, stuff permitting - looking forward to seeing modded cars and getting (pinching ?) ideas -

do you know eyefi he from over your way in osset

an other west yorkshire owner. have you had car long. well lane dont seem to know how to dyno autos. been to a few of there rolling road days. have seen them dynoing a car and not giving turbos a chance to cool down and just turning engine off.

That's a bit worrying if you think they don't know what they're doing - do you know of anywhere else around here ? I've only had the car 6 months or so so haven't done anything with it yet -

I don't know eyefi (from Ossett you say ? - thats where I'm from) but should be meeting up Sunday, as I've now been given the green light from She who Must be Obeyed, so see you there !