The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Lamp conversion - Automotive Relays

Ark

Hello Everyone,

Probably been asked many times before, but I can't find a thread on it so here goes:

I'm trying to do Pete Betts' fog lamp conversion using the two automotive relays as described. However, the only relays appear to have only 4 pins (30, 85, 86, 87).

There is a stump of a pin for 87a, but I can't see a way to make use of it...It's not a busted pin, because every single one at halfords was like this.

I guess my question is:- is this a second pin for 87, so can I simply hang two wires off 87 using a dual spade connectors, or MUST I get new relays with 5 pins present?

Thanks guys,

Chris

I thought I had read up properly!

I assumed that the relays I had bought were the righth ones though. How I know - never assume anything about anything bought straight off the shelf!

OK, new question:

Should the relays be mounted inside the car boot, or will they be OK tucked underneath the light cluster?

Chris

My fog mod conversion only uses 1 relay and works perfectly well,

Dont get any fault lights up (like what Oxy has on his) and still uses all 4 tail lights as normal, ie tails and brakes, and changes the inside pair to fogs when the switch is on while the outer pair is the tails and brakes and also the centre strip if it works on your car.

Comes with full install pics and instructions and everything you need.

Logically, using a diode would be ideal but I think diodes can only handle very low power and would burn out very quickly.

I had a similar problem when making up some headlights for my old MR2. After lots of messing about, I found the only method that worked was using relays.

Matt

Originally posted by AeroMatt

Logically, using a diode would be ideal but I think diodes can only handle very low power and would burn out very quickly.

I had a similar problem when making up some headlights for my old MR2. After lots of messing about, I found the only method that worked was using relays.

Matt

It's just a matter of picking the right diode to handle the PIV of 14V (with engine running) and the max forward current (1.75A with engine off).

There are some hefty diodes out there. :cool:

Well if the proper diode is selected, I can't think what the downside would be. It should last longer than a relay too, being all solid-state.

You would lose 0.7V from the inner brake light because of the forward voltage drop across the diode, but that should hardly be noticable, especially with the engine running.

If anyone has tried this I'd be interested to know exactly what the problems are.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Darren Blake

If anyone has tried this I'd be interested to know exactly what the problems are.

Darren, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL mate.

I've just done this mod today using the diode values you suggested in an earlier thread (think it was you?)

I ordered them from Maplins and put two in, one between the inner light brake light wire and another in-line on the fog light wire.

They work a treat, twin brake and side lights and when the fogs are on the inner most lights act as fogs with the remaining ones still side/brake.

Took a little while doing it neat, solder and heat shrink tubing.

Thanks again for the advice on the diodes, just a few pence and some solder :D

Paul

• 1 year later...