The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD Steering Wheel

Sharpie

I will be fitting my TRD steering wheel in the next few weeks and wondered if any of you guy's that HAVE fitted them can offer any *tricks* that you had to do when fitting it.

I have the info on fitting here:

me

and here:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1769692&a=30264134&f=0

It all appears to be straight forward but, you normally find something needs a little fix here and their.

Cheers for any help.

Oh, should have a stock steering wheel for sale soon with a brand new Airbag :)

• 3 months later...

Well, got it fitted this weekend and the instructions in the second link above are great!

However, you do not need a puller to remove the wheel....as mentioned Here

A big THANKS to Kevin at Envy for his help and advice and suppling the wheel too.

The TRD wheel is the exact size of the stock 4 spoke wheel and the gap to look at the gauges is also the same.

The airbag is a real tight fit against the 98on cruise control - First time I have used my dremmel too :D worked a treat!

trd wheel.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just to add, if you do use the 98on cruise then, you might want to take the rubber cover with a hole in it off the stock wheel and use it on the TRD wheel, this allows you to hide a lot of the hole as the hole has to be large enough to get the thickest part of the 98on stalk through. It’s a shame the stalk does not come apart as the hole size could be a long smaller.

Then if you sell your stock wheel you only need to order a new plastic/rubber cover at £3.66 + VAT (PN 45186-14020-C0).

On the stock wheel

cover 1a.jpg

The wheel is great and I love the look and feel of a brand new leather wheel.

Something to consider though and is NOT a criticism at all but, you need to hear the good the bad and what to watch out for in our club:

If you enjoy the cushion effect of the stock steering wheel then the TRD wheel is a lot firmer and the cushion around the rims is minimal so, firmer in your hands too.

You may not like the firmer feel ? – I don’t miss the cushion effect as I do not have to hang on to it for my life anymore since fitting my new seats.

If you have cruise control and you want to retain it, then the 98on cruise control stalk is needed as Gaz mentioned above. However, since the TRD wheel is not designed for cruise control you do have to mod the wheel outer cover with a dremmel. For some this might put you off straight away as if you fcuk up then that’s a lot of money down the pan.

I have never used a dremmel before, it’s the first time it was out of the box – It’s easy and I’m not a big fan of DIY really, just take your time.

Once the hole is done and the cruise stalk fitted, it is a fiddly job to get the airbag to fit flush on the wheel as you have just put a cruise stalk in some of this space – It does fit but, you will see a 1 - 1.5mm gap on the side where the cruise stalk is fitted.

IMO this will not affect the deployment of the airbag in anyway OR it’s trajectory path on deployment that much to cause any injury to you in an impact.

If you bin the cruise or do not have cruise on your car then the airbag fits flush as intended.

I hope this helps

• 1 year later...
Guest /< i T e

Hi

Could someone please post the partnumber for the 98-> cruise stalk? I would need to order it from Toyota but to do that I need the partnumber.

Thanks for your help!