The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4WD supra?

Lewis

Talking to Emin the other day and some pleb came up to him and asked "is that RWD?" towhich a sturdy yes was answered.... "is that all, mines the 4WD version - it was an option in japan" came the reply....

Well after jack-a-nory had finished his tall tail Emin sent him packing.

This however got me thinking (a dangerous prospect), is it even possible? obviously it would be masses of custom parts I would imagine but then so are a lot of things, all these big singles and heavy engine mods, is there any way to get drive to all four corners?

Answers on a postcard to :

More money than sense

123 la la land

head-in-the-clouds

L00 NEY

i had a site i found by accident that did 4wd conversions on lots of types of transport. wrote to them but got no reply. i would imaging its something that could be done. that bloke me and lee know did his capri to 4wd and it flew he was beating martin hadland years ago. you just have to look at all these mad project cars with bike engines and twin engine cars.

the 4wd helps getting it off line well but would you not loose a lot of power through the drivetrain. once the supras up and running it just goes.

good idea

The reason I ask mark, is that I will be doing something different shortly (not on the car I currently have) and I am looking at various new avenues (will discuss in person or over the phone at some point).

Will have around 7k to spend after I buy the TT I am looking for and will be looking at various things that havent been done or are pretty rare.

Obviously it is good to have a lot of power running through the wheels but the more you can get to drive the more speed you will have inittially, like you say this would reduce at higher speeds but if you have the power there to keep it going then it should be pretty good and what I am looking at should give the power required.

At the moment it's all "if's, but's and maybe's" but its a route to explor and do a bit of R & D if nothing else.

Ta

The Supra gearbox sits quite a long way back so you would need some kind of separate transfer box to house the centre and front diffs. This would probably have to sit along side the oil pan, with one drive shaft going under or even through it. Would probably be a more difficult packaging exercise than anything else.

Originally posted by dude

How about fitting Skyline gearbox and suspension on the back of the supra lump !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Do they fit?

I am sure I heard a while back that they are not that different, is the skyline box a getrag as well?

:thumbs:

Apart from the novelty value I can't see why anyone would want 4WD in a Supra - any quick 4WD car that is in a high state of tune generally gets converted to RWD for a reason.

The transmission losses would need to be overcome with some tuning to get the standard performance back too.

There are a few 4WD MR2s out there (MK1's mainly) so I suspect the Supra could be done but using an engine that's already setup for 4WD, like the Skyline, is bound to make life easier - if the budget and the need was high enough I think I'd be opting for the 3S-GTE from the ST205 Celica so that I could emulate the 'engine under the dash' weight distribution they used to have in the JGTC cars. Then you'd be wanting to do some tuning, 2.2L stroker, T88, huge IC etc and you'll be on the way to 600 > 700bhp - nice :)