The mkiv Supra Owners Club

welding a Greddy intake?

csa

This summer I had some problems with my GReddy intake leaking where it connect to the runners, so I had to do a quickfix with some QuickSteel to avoid taking out the engine to fit a new gasket.

But, now I'm removing the engine for an overhaul anyways, and I was thinking of getting the intake welded togheter with the runners, to avoid the use over a gasket completely.

Allready have a welder who says he can do it.

What's your guys thoughts on doing this?

This summer I had some problems with my GReddy intake leaking where it connect to the runners, so I had to do a quickfix with some QuickSteel to avoid taking out the engine to fit a new gasket.

But, now I'm removing the engine for an overhaul anyways, and I was thinking of getting the intake welded togheter with the runners, to avoid the use over a gasket completely.

Allready have a welder who says he can do it.

What's your guys thoughts on doing this?

as long as you are welding good alluminium alloy you should have no problems, ask to see some of the welders work if you dont know him and try and give him a trial run on somewhere that cant be seen to make sure it welds ok, oh and you will have to get ALL the quick steel of as well, it may be best to get it tak welded whilst its on the car to make sure you get it all in the right postion

I've had the welder recommended as the "best aluminium welder out there", so I kind of trust that ;-)

Getting the right postion shouldnt be a problem as the plenum it self is bolted togheter with the runners, and I intend to keep it that way, and then just "seal" it with a welding.

But yes, I will give it a very thorough cleaning all over, including removal of the old floating gasket, before I hand it over

Your best bet is to notch out the leaking point, which I presume is a crack, prior to welding. Purge the intake to ensure smooth internal penetration and make sure there is nothing else around there except aluminium, you'll get a nice scold mark on the metal when the A/C hits it which will be very hard to get rid of.

there's no cracks, but the current gasket is not completely tight even thoug I've patched it with quicksteel on the most severe places.

what do you mean by purgeing the intake?

and the scold mark from A/C....what is "A/C" ?

I missread where you were welding at first. You wont need to purge it then, basically you run gas through the intake so it smooths the back of the weld. AC is the current used to weld ally, it will spray back on normal steels and leave a bit of a burn mark.

You wont need to purge it unless he will be going for full penetration but I would try putting the least amount of heat into it as poss to avoid distortion. Your best way of testing it will be to dye penetrant test it or if poss make some blanks up and have it pressure tested.

can it be removed from the car if its all welded though?

no the problem is not the gasket between the head and runners, but the gasket between the runners and the plenum it self.

it can't be removed from the car when the engine is in the car as it is, so that won't change anything