The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto box problem wont change up

Paul372

Your torque convertor has had its day I think. Same problem with mine about a year ago :) It was fine when driving at low revs, but once I gave it some the revs shot up and it kept hitting the limiter

managed to pick a lower milage box and convertor up for around £200

drove it today fine at low revs driving it around normal but like you sad when i give it some the revs shot up and hits the rev limiter so you think my torque convertor has had it:(

how big of a job is it to replace the torque convertor is it easy to do

Bit like changing a clutch work wise - best way to go about it is unbolt the TC from the flex plate (the bit instead of a flywheel on an auto) then take the autobox off with the TC still on the input shaft, as you would a manual - exhaust off, propshaft off etc.

To me though it's probably the autobox that's had it - worn clutch packs or similar. The strange thing with autoboxes is they apparently use a different set of components inside when shifting manually than when just using D, which could tie up with what you're saying about it being OK when shifting manually.

Cheers,

Brian.

Fix the problem first - I'm guessing a major service would include full autobox fluid change so that would really be a waste with a knackered autobox.

Source a 2nd hand autobox / TC combo - shouldn't be more than £300 on here for something decent, then give it to the garage doing the major service to change over whilst doing the major service so the nice new fluid etc. goes in the replacement box / TC.

Cheers,

Brian.

would it be worth getting the auto box and tc recon

The cost will be prohibitive compared to 2nd hand. The other choice is to go aftermarket 'uprated' such as the Boostlogic autobox and an aftermarket higher stall TC like a Precision Industries. You're looking at in excess of £2k for such a setup though so only worth considering if you have bigger power goals for your car in mind...

Cheers,

Brian.

I used this guide (Thanks Pete) when changing my autobox. It was very helpful and easy to follow the step by step procedure. Take a look and see what you think :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=72771 (download the .pdf file)

Note: You'll need to do this over a pit or a 2 poster ramp, definately wouldn't like to try doing this with axle stands! lol Also bear in mind the box is heavy (took 4 of us to lift it and one to locate the bolts) so make sure you have a few friends willing to get their hands dirty :D

It's not so bad on axle stands. Yeah a pit or ramp would be a lot nicer but it is manageable on stands. I've done my box swaps with my Dad and we find the weight ok between us - usually me man handling stuff whilst he bolts it up.

Using trolley jacks is a good way to make it all more manageable whilst crawling about under the car - we tend to use a flat but thick bit of wood on one then mount the autobox lengthways on it and guide it into place from the rear of the car, jacking the box up to the right height as we go. It also helps to jack the front of the engine up via that end of the sump with another block of wood inbetween, this lets you get a better angle to get the autobox on and off in the first place. Remember to disconnect your IC pipes if doing that though.

Cheers,

Brian.