The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need a mechanic......

Suprash

Hi guys, Im looking to a buy a S13 for a drift toy, now the bloke flys out to Switzerland tomorrow morning and doesnt get back till late Tuesday night and I want the car ready for Pod on Wednesday, so I only have tonight to look at this car.

Now normally I would look at it off my own back but there is a bit of an issue around the clutch, he said his mechanic has told him it just needs to be bled properly, he said the peddle sort of slumped one day and the level was really low, topped it up and its been fine since, he sounds genuine but obviously I dont want to take his word for it.

So what Im wondering is if anyone that knows enough about mechanics could come along to Guilford to view the car with me tonight, of course I would sort you out some beer tokens for your time.

Spec on the car is as follows:

1991 H Nissan 200sx S13,

manual,

just under 150k miles

6 months tax and 5 months mot

spec

Tein super street coilovers

Whiteline anti roll bars front and rear, Whiteline sub frame bushes

Driftworks strut braces front and rear

Norris designs stage 1 chip

short shifter

Longlife stainless steel exhaust, downpipe back

HKS induction kit

HKS dump valve

Saab fmic with samco hoses

Driftworks manual boost controller set at 0.8 bar

HKS iridium plugs

Standard fan removed, electric one fitted

mitsibushi rad

Old Turbo replaced with T25 with less mileage, all gaskets done at same time

welded s14 diff

17" team dynamics wheels in black , fronts have run flats on them

Fully Poly bushed front and rear from wat i can see

drift button handbrake

Car itself is solid, all sills welded for the last mot, there is a couple of dents. nothing to major, one on the passenger door, one on the driver side rear quarter. Rust is starting to come back on the rear arches and the boot where the spoiler was removed. For its age the interior is good condition, even the driver seat. Car runs will, slightly lumpy idle which i have been told to check and clwean the ACC and ICV , doesnt affect driving

Also would anyone have an idea what this is worth, he wants 1500 for it, but has already said himself that he might be being a bit optimistic, so wondering how much I might be able to knock him down buy....

Any advice, comments or help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.......:cool:

First off you have no info on the type of clutch it has, if it has had the boost upped and a chip , it should be running about 230bhp, a std clutch will be toast in no time if its being used for drifting, the T25 is a std turbo, and if its got 150K on it with no engine rebuild then walk away, the std bottom end on these are not really up to much more power without being sorted, with that sort of mileage and no major rebuilds, it only worth £800 max!

Mate with 150k on the clock the bottom end would have been re-built already.....;)

Im all to aware of the issues around these cars, but its within my price range, what Im looking for and drift ready......

I just want someone who knows mechanics to give it the once over......

Are you sure? documentation etc, and have you info on the clutch?

Only trying to help,which is what you where also asking, i have owned and built a couple of these myself, can't come and look though.

It has a drift works clutch kit in it........he says the engine is very well maintained, but I would expect someone to say that, he cant say whether the bg ends have been done as he has only owned it for around 20,000 miles, but he says there is no knocking etc.......this is why I want a mechanic to look over it for me, but havent a clue about documentation until I get to see the car.......I do apprecaite your input though dude.....;)

If its Driftworks then it will be RPS which is fine, or Quinton Hazel which is std, the clutch problem could be the hydraulics or it could just be knacked, the peddle is adjustable and if badly done, ie trying to compensate for a worn clutch in the past, if not reset then will cause clutch slip or dodgy peddle, and in all seriousness, if it has been drifted on a regular basis, you should be looking at an engine tear down at least every 10K or sooner!

To check bottom end hold rpm at about 2,500-3,000 and listen for a light to medium rhythmic rattle, it won't sound like its coming from the bottom end, but thats what it will be;)

HI mate i also have had one of Therese and my mate has one now which he drifts , I no you said its been welded but make sure it's not going around the the peddle box as this is a soft spot for it , Its easy to see just by pulling the carpet back an tapping it with a breaker bar or small hammer ,

Well Im happy to say I officially have this car now, picking it up Tuesday night and going to Pod Wednesday day for a DWYB day :D

Only one snag, the car still has the open diff in it but comes with a S14 welded one, so need to get that dropped in there Tuesday night :taped:

So at the moment, Im going to need to ask a huge favour off someone that could help me, prob is dont really know anyone....Gav what you doing Tuesday night ;) Fancy earning some cash........:eyebrows:

Or if anyone knows someone that could get me out of a tight hole would be ace, really dont want to miss this day now I have come this far......

And anyone else fancy going, more then welcome to tag along.....;)