The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Extra Primuim for my 'mods'

Ady

Ok .... Just been on the blower to the inshurance company (Elephant) and told them about my new private plate. He changed it and then had the cheek to try and charge me £12.50 for new policy document............................. After a while and a bit of a debate, I got the charges writen off :sly:

I asked him how much EXTRA it would be to cover my alloys, bumper, skirts, spats, new seats and engine bling

To my amazement this followed:

We debated about OEM, weather or not they need to be declared - he tapped on his computer and said ' Exteriour Decorative will be £5.15 more. This would also cover my front bumper :eyebrows:

Next he said to ammend your policy with non standard alloys to cover my wheels..

Then I asked for the interiour changes, my new seats.

He also said that engine 'bling' need not to worry. As its not a modification, and wont increase risk of theft as its not visible.

To my amazement the total extra was £69.00 :search:

They arnt inshured to REPLACE if the worst happens, just want to declare them incase I write the car off, and they wont pay out due to these mods.

I made a note of the time and date of the call, and asked for his name in paticular. So if any misshaps happen, and they decide not to pay out, our nice little conversation would have been recorded today.

Im going to add therse ECTRAS to my policy when shes back on the road after xmas :sly:

:D

Surprised you haven't looked into this in the past. I have been insured with admiral for the last year and a half and i have always done it online. They have a little thing asking about modifications. For BPU all you really need to tell them is exhaust and air filter. The intercooler won't matter a bit and the hardpiping, as you said, is just invisible engine bling.

At the moment i have loads of stuff did to my car but its all covered under..

Alloys (Non-Standard)

Bodykit

Interior Decorative Changes

Exterior Decorative Changes

Exhaust/Manifold Non Standard

Air Filter Non Standard

On the online form as long as you only select 6 the quote will go through. Pretty good setup admiral and elephant have for this IMO. Modifications didn't make that much of a difference to me either and its always better to be safe than sorry.

Scott =op

I argued with him about the body kit - i said that i have OEM spats (well one of them is any way) and OEM skirts. He said what is OEM so I told him and he said if there an origional potion, then they dont need to be declared. But said best to cover them with exteriour decorative.

He also said the new front end wud come under that catogory too.

Do you think the spoiler would too?

:

They arnt inshured to REPLACE if the worst happens, just want to declare them incase I write the car off, and they wont pay out due to these mods.

Im going to add therse ECTRAS to my policy when shes back on the road after xmas :sly:

:D

That's the difference. You've declared your mods, but they won't be replaced like for like in the event of a shunt/theft etc. At least with Sky, they do. Personally I wouldn't insure with a company that wasn't going to replace like/like otherwise what is the point?

That's the difference. You've declared your mods, but they won't be replaced like for like in the event of a shunt/theft etc. At least with Sky, they do. Personally I wouldn't insure with a company that wasn't going to replace like/like otherwise what is the point?

The point is - To be LEGAL :p

If I wrote off my supra, id rather get a pay out and loose the monwy I spend on my mods, than loose the car compleatley because my inshurance was invalid due to alloy wheels and a bit of a body kit not being declared.

If it was wrote off, the last thing would be on my mind, is getting like for like alloys ect from the one that was smashed.

im with bell (same company) and it is the same for me £948 a year with wheels, induction, dump valve, exhaust £1050 however im 21 and with breakdown cover £1096 which to me is a belta deal, 1 years ncb, import and mods :p

Im 24 also with 1 years NCB - but in May I will have 6 - 3 spred out over 2 polocies, as Elephant decided to give me a free NCB when I took this policy out, as I winged about the price. Haha.

The point is - To be LEGAL :p

If I wrote off my supra, id rather get a pay out and loose the monwy I spend on my mods, than loose the car compleatley because my inshurance was invalid due to alloy wheels and a bit of a body kit not being declared.

If it was wrote off, the last thing would be on my mind, is getting like for like alloys ect from the one that was smashed.

I understand what you're saying. But not all collisions result in a write off, so if I was involved in a front end shunt then I'll know my fimc will be replaced etc etc etc. I wasn't trying to say don't declare your mods, you have to by law anyway, just for that little bit extra, I would want to have the peace of mind that my mods would be replaced like for like in the event of a shunt. I bought my car totally stock, so over the years I've invested a few quid in it, so it's nice to know (Lord forbid) that if the unthinkable happens I'll get back what i invested. So whilst you've got a great deal with your insurer and decalred your mods, they won't pay out on those mods in the event of a claim. Whereas my insurer will. And whilst you may (but don't in my case) save a few quid on your premium by going with the cheaper overall quote and declaring your mods, that won't be reflected in a like for like claim if it ever happens.

I was with Bell before Sky, and had probably the cheapest insurance premium in the club (£300 fully comp protecetd NCD etc) but when I discovered that they wouldn't pay out like for like on any mods, I changed to a compay that did. My premium went up but for the sake of a hundred odd quid, it was worth it imo.

I will try sky for a quote when my renewal is up in May. But shes of the road now untill April.

This is the diffrence between our situations thow mate - I have baught my car with the alloys, skirts, spats and spoiler on it. So i havent forked out 1000's of pounds on her. If i had a shunt, and buckled an alloy, then id fix it my self.

After all they calss it as making a claim if you claim for an alloy or intercooler, so in the long run, you may be worse off when yu have to say yes to making a claim in the past 5 years, regardless of fault.

Food for thaught tho me thinks...............