The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chris Wilson suspension......

womble

I recently had Chris Wilson fit a set of his own custom suspension components (shocks, spings and geometry set up to match) to my car and having now driven the car for a few hundred miles since the work was carried out here's my report on it.

The car now sits nicely lower giving it a more aggresive look without any problems of tyres rubbing on arches (have heard of several people complaining about this after other set ups / instalations). My HKS Super Dragger only ever scrapes on stupidly high speed bumps and even then only very lightly, as has been said on other posts on this board Chris really does do a good job of tucking the pipe away. With regards to the ride / handling of the car I really can't praise this set up enough. It has made a massive difference not only to cornering with far less body roll and a nice and firm progesive ride giving much better feed back (resulting in higher cornering speeds), but also to both braking and acceleration with much higher levels of traction availabe both on entry and exiting corners. £1200 may seem like alot of money to spend on suspension when compared to the prices of some of the other kit available but when you take into consideration the cost and quality of all these components individually + Chris's time ( shocks, re-valving, springs, fitting and a full goemety set up) it's actually excellent value for money. My cars ABS and traction control used to be working overtime before this set up yet now they rarely make an appearence. To give you an idea as to how good it is last week I was able to keep up with a new style Lotus Elise on a wet and twisty (yet fast) country road even out braking him to make a pass. I've recently spent alot of hard earned cash on my car ( Hybrids, Exhaust, Full De-cat, H-Duty Clutch / Flywheel, Road/Race Pads/Discs/Braided Hoses Suspension) and can honestly say if you've got the money get the suspension 1st, A to B your car will be a lot quicker / more fun to drive than with any other singe uprade. RECOMENDED.

P.S a special thanks goes out to Chris himself for the all work he carried out on the car despite not being in the best of health at the time, cheers mate.

I spoke to Chris last week regarding this upgrade and have to say it sounds like a well thought out set-up and certainly seems well respected on the board.

Thanks for the feedback, It's next on my list of things to do when funds allow. My car has the std bilstein yellow dampers and some crappy springs which has the car sitting ridiculously low, the ride is terrible and it really thuds into potholes not to mention scraping the exhaust everywhere and the front spoiler acting like a snow plough on any speed bump, and I think I heard one of the front wheels rub lightly on the front arch!! The dampers have probably seen better days too now (probably why it seems such a poor package) so i'm sure it'll be money extremely well spent.

Nito