The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Service interval amendments?

Faith Adopter

Can anyone please verify that the below is correct or not? only I am looking at getting my 93 jdm TT serviced asap?

Cheers!

:)

"If UK spec pre 95 then Toyotas schedule is

A

B

A

C

...every 6000 miles or 6 months

Mid 95 they changed this to

A

A

B

every 9000 (or 12 months) with an interim oil change every 4500"

That is basically correct, but I thought the change to 9000miles happened earlier. My car is 1994 and I run the 9000 intervals.

Tony looked into this in some detail and I believe that he got a statement or advice from Toyota or maybe just off this BBS that the service interval change was more of a policy decision with Toyota rather than being down to a change in the engine hardware itself. If you have the service book, you will see that it is a generic schedule, not specific to the Supra or any other model. The upshot was that running 9000 intervals on an early model year car should not do any harm.

Slight thread hijack follows: Can someone please scan in and post up the bit in the service book or any other document where it specifies an additional oil change at 4500 miles? I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, especially on modded cars, but I'm convinced that this information has come from what people actually do rather than from Toyota.

Originally posted by Digsy

Slight thread hijack follows: Can someone please scan in and post up the bit in the service book or any other document where it specifies an additional oil change at 4500 miles? I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, especially on modded cars, but I'm convinced that this information has come from what people actually do rather than from Toyota.

I had always been under the impression that the 4500miles 'official' oil change was not for the Supra - That's they way I read it but, others did not agree.

(Does not really matter as I swap every 3k anyway)

But, a fair few people said that 4500 was what Toyota state)

Here is what I have in my book:

9k = A

27k = B

a service.jpg

I had this issue with JIC when i bought the car, and spoke to some Toyota engineer that JIC used when they had a query with a car, he was working at the local toyota garage near JIC at the time,

Basically, it was a policy decision, if you look at modern celica's the early models had a shorter interval than the ones now, even though there was no change to any parts on the vehicle,

indeed if you were to order a 1993 supra part or a 1995 supra part they would have the same part number etc.

i think basically when its a brand new model, toyota go for a default 6month 6000mile schedule until its proven itself to be ok then they change it,

i guess this means that if you were to buy it new in 1993 you would have been a sort of gienea pig for them !

C service i assume is oil and filter change?