The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto and manual ecu differnces

mk1its

I think it's just the wires intended for the neutral start switch on an auto transmission need to be joined so the ecu doesn't think the transmission in in "D" and refuses to start.

The was something about this mod sometimes only allowing a car to rev to 4k rpm afterwards though as I'm fairly sure the revs are limited on an auto if the transmission is in neutral but I've never had an issue with mine.

Dude did a bit of a write up in the technical section relating to a 6 speed swap into an auto, that was the guide I followed myself to sort the wiring as it was similar.

I think it's just the wires intended for the neutral start switch on an auto transmission need to be joined so the ecu doesn't think the transmission in in "D" and refuses to start.

The was something about this mod sometimes only allowing a car to rev to 4k rpm afterwards though as I'm fairly sure the revs are limited on an auto if the transmission is in neutral but I've never had an issue with mine.

Dude did a bit of a write up in the technical section relating to a 6 speed swap into an auto, that was the guide I followed myself to sort the wiring as it was similar.

Thanks Pedro, do you have a manual ecu on yours? Was your car converted?

Just found this but it wasn't answered...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?249622-Neutral-safety-switch-Auto-Manual-Conversion-Engine-Light-Problem-5800-rev-limit

Reading through this though, as my car was an auto and is now manual and has been running on the auto ecu, the car shouldn't have started?!?

I'm confused now, I'm tempted to start the car (or try) and see what happens with the ecu on....I don't want to break my car though! :(

I done a NA-TT and I had to buy a TT auto loom (engine had a 6 speed loom fitted) and was told it was intact but it had been doctored to run on a manual car, as Pedrosix says the wires on the neutral selection switch have to be altered so it doesn't think its in D also the reverse light needs rewired so it comes on when you go into reverse...there are a few other modifications that need done so the speedo works. 1 or 2 other mods also but I cant remember. It was a major PITA to reinstate everything. If anyone ever tells you "yeah you can run a auto ecu in I manual car without any probs" or vice versa they are talking shite.

Edited by LOGIE (see edit history)

I bought a TT auto loom and was told it was intact but it had been doctored to run on a manual car, as Pedrosix says the wires on the neutral selection switch have to be altered so it doesn't think its in D also the reverse light needs rewired so it comes on when you go into reverse...there are a few other modifications that need done so the speedo works. 1 or 2 other mods also but I cant remember. It was a major PITA to reinstate everything. If anyone ever tells you "yeah you can run a auto ecu in I manual car without any probs" or vice versa they are talking shite.

:D Sounds like you're talking from experience there Logie.....screw it, I'm putting my auto ECU back in until I can get or find a write up on how to do this properly.

There is actually nothing wrong with the auto ECU in place however I wanted the conversion to be as complete as possible. Someone did also mention that there may be a difference in revs during gear changes between the ecu's...be nice to find out....

:help:

:D Sounds like you're talking from experience there Logie.....screw it, I'm putting my auto ECU back in until I can get or find a write up on how to do this properly.

There is actually nothing wrong with the auto ECU in place however I wanted the conversion to be as complete as possible. Someone did also mention that there may be a difference in revs during gear changes between the ecu's...be nice to find out....

:help:

My advice is do it right, get all the correct parts incl engine loom, ecu etc. read the wiring diagrams make sure your 100% know what needs done then attempt it....and still be prept for an issue or 2. My NA-TT went well but I had to ask loads of what seemed like basic or stupid questions to get it done. I now only have a ABS light problem to solve which will be done this weekend hopefully.

Edited by LOGIE
Im a TIT (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

I've recently spent dozens of hours going through the circuit diagrams to suss out the wiring to fit a 2JZ-GE in my Mk3 Supra, as I didn't want the car to be off the road for weeks.

After all the hard research I made up wiring adaptors in advance to marry up the two different cars' electronics, and really pleased that EVERYTHING worked as it should straight away! (did the whole engine swap in two days) But I guess having a Degree in Electronics helps . . .

BUT . . . I certainly noticed that the 2JZ wiring loom was very different on a Manual car to an Auto . . . lots of wires completely missing ! (and the circuit diagrams aren't very clear about this). And again a TT has a LOT of differences !

Fortunately my car is Manual, and I fitted an engine and ECU from a Manual car, so didn't have additional complications.

But I'd certainly recommend using the correct Loom/ECU if you want to avoid complications !

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Thanks Pedro, do you have a manual ecu on yours? Was your car converted?

My car has always been a manual, however I converted from a non turbo 2JZ to a twin turbo 1JZ.

The car from which the 1JZ was taken was an automatic, therefore the engine was supplied with an auto ecu & loom.

But there was very little in the way of problems getting the auto ecu & engine loom to run with my manual transmission.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)