The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LS400 front caliper conversion

bigbloodyturbo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for the info :) I take it these will be just about on par with the 'UK' brakes as far as stopping power and resistantce to fade are concerned. Iv been looking for a more cost friendly way of upgrading the j-spec brakes for a while. The 'UK' brakes cost a fair bit, even second hand :(

Will fitting these to the fronts and keeping the j-spec rears have any negitive effect? I know in an ideal world both should be upgraded at the same time but is it necessary?

If my mind remembers correct did Jamie P run D2 8pots on the front with j-spec rears without any concerns?

Some people have raised concerns about brake bias while keeping the rear jspecs, personally I haven't really felt any ill-effects. The other point raised was the master cylinder and its capability to supply the bigger caliper, again I haven't had any problems with this other than sometimes a slight pedal drop the first time you use them after the car has sat for a few days.

As for comparison with UK's, I dont have much experience with them but the numbers add up to this. LS400 alloy 4 pot = 315mm disc and a 9lb caliper. UK/export Iron?4pot = 323mm disc with a 15lb caliper. The difference can't be that big but I would hazard a guess that the UK's are more powerful. I haven't managed to push mine into fade yet but then I may not be trying hard enough;)

Would be interesting to find out what pads are available for them :)

I intended on getting porterfields but it never happened. This is the main problem with this conversion, the pad selection is crap. I wouldn't mind trying to fit UK pads in but I don't know if they'd fit, I reckon it would be a longshot.

The first link is interesting although it would suggest that 93-98 export supra pads are the same as GS400 pads which I'm not sure about, if they were it would be great as the selection would be huge. The second link is for the previous generation LS400 which used the same calipers as the jspec supra. The ones in the conversion are for 95+ LS400's.

Do the rear calipers, discs etc from a LS400 fit the Supra?
IIRC, the LS rears which match those fronts are solid discs and 2-pot opposed piston calipers.

Checked on toyodiy and the GS400 brakes appear to be 2pot
They are the same as "J-spec" Supra fronts. The GS cars didn't have decent front brakes until the 3rd generation. Edited by garethr (see edit history)

So let me get this right. If I manage to locate Front brake calipers and discs off a 95-onwards Lexus LS 400,they will fit straight onto my Supra as long as I got the longer caliper mounting bolts?

Yes, you may have to remove a small bit of material from the caliper (3rd picture) but it is a small amount and is easy to do in 2 mins, other than that your set. The caliper bolts are shorter I think as the stock supra bolts require standoffs to make them work, not recommended IMO.

hey all. I fit US spec front TT calipers rotors and pads on my NA Jspec. I only had to trim the dust shield...my question for everyone here is what is the cost difference on them, meaning the LS brake setup VS the US or UK spec??? I know i bought brand new US spec TT front calipers, rotors and pads for 550 USD. which isnt very much considering. maybe i should start selling these to you guys overseas...LOL...

Chris

could someone who has done this please measure the distance of the face of the calliper off the disc. Interested to see how much wheel clearance is required from the face of the front disc.

I'll measure it today at some point for you. You want the to know the distance from disc face to the caliper face or the hub section of the disc (bit with the holes in it) to the caliper face?

hey all. I fit US spec front TT calipers rotors and pads on my NA Jspec. I only had to trim the dust shield...my question for everyone here is what is the cost difference on them, meaning the LS brake setup VS the US or UK spec??? I know i bought brand new US spec TT front calipers, rotors and pads for 550 USD. which isnt very much considering. maybe i should start selling these to you guys overseas...LOL...

Chris

Yes those prices are very good, that would probably get you the calipers on their own here:) Would hate to see how much the shipping would be though.

@garethr: I was looking at LS430 calipers a while back and they are massive, all alloy like you say but they have a strange way of mounting, like a bolt goes straight through it. Do you know how those are mounted?

I'll measure it today at some point for you. You want the to know the distance from disc face to the caliper face or the hub section of the disc (bit with the holes in it) to the caliper face?

thanks mate, I need to know the minimum clearance for the rims, IE how far off the face of the disc to inside of the wheel. So if you put a tape measure perpendicular to the disc, what would be the additional width of the calliper if that makes sense... lol I'll see if I can find a picture..

Edit: The distance between the 2 Grey Lines at the top and also the distance from from the Black Line to the right Grey line, IE the back of the spoke of the rim and the face of the disc.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/897/techwheelfit2.png

Edited by Brad88 (see edit history)

thanks mate, I need to know the minimum clearance for the rims, IE how far off the face of the disc to inside of the wheel. So if you put a tape measure perpendicular to the disc, what would be the additional width of the calliper if that makes sense... lol I'll see if I can find a picture..

Edit: The distance between the 2 Grey Lines at the top and also the distance from from the Black Line to the right Grey line, IE the back of the spoke of the rim and the face of the disc.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/897/techwheelfit2.png

The distance between the two grey lines(disc face to caliper outer face) is approx. 67.5mm. The other distance (from rear of spokes) I can't do as I have aftermarket rims so the measurement won't help you. The distance from the hub section of the disc to the disc surface is approx 24.5mm (they're only a month or so old so very little wear)

I hope that helps, I can take the measurement of the caliper itself later but it would probably involve taking the wheel off.

The distance between the two grey lines(disc face to caliper outer face) is approx. 67.5mm. The other distance (from rear of spokes) I can't do as I have aftermarket rims so the measurement won't help you. The distance from the hub section of the disc to the disc surface is approx 24.5mm (they're only a month or so old so very little wear)

I hope that helps, I can take the measurement of the caliper itself later but it would probably involve taking the wheel off.

Thanks mate, that's all I was after, just wanted to confirm the 70mm required clearance basicly. Off to the wreckers next week with a bit of luck!