The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Spoiler Speed

trooper

A JDM Supra's front spoiler deploys at 90kmh or thereabouts. My conversion when it came into the country obviously wasn't done 100% right and so the spoiler only deploys at 90mph.

Does the fact that the conversion hasn't been done right affect any other functions in the car? I'm thinking PAS and gearchanges, but there may be others.

Thanks

Chris

Hmmm, I see your's is a VVTi too. I wonder if the wiring is a bit different on these models as the place that did the work said the spoiler speed would be right.

It's due a service next month so I'll ge them to have a ganda at it.

Ta

The PAS may be affected - I presume the Supra adopts the usual system where it gives less assistance the faster you go - what you may find is that at 100mph you are getting the assistance you would normally have at 60mph, hence your steering may be too light at speed.

Got the same problem, non vvti.

Does this affedt the stering assistance Pete?

From your comment, am i right in assuming you can change the wiring connections rather than replace the actual (and no doubt different between all of us) kph/mph convertors?

Dan

Provided the converter is a decent one then yes.

The key is having one with the original speed sensor signal output.

You could use a connection straight from the sensor but it really shouldn't be electrically loaded like that.

The VVTi is slightly different and is 80% likely to need a new converter.

Regards

Pete

I'll give my garage a chance at fixing it as they said that they'd do it from the off. If they fail then I'll book it in with Thor. You don't do servicing do you at Thor?

We are begining to offer this service.

General oil, filter, plugs etc etc

Not Cam belts or engine work just yet. Trying to juggle staff and equipment at this stage. Soon though.

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

Took the car into the garage and they wanted £160 to sort the spoiler deployment speed thing so it's still coming on at 90mph.

Said it needed another converter. I thought the converter would convert everything as the speedo shows MPH.

How much do you at Thor charge for this gizmo and fitting?

Cheers

Hi mate.

Cost for the speedo converter is £100+VAT and £45 to fit.

I know it's about the same cost but at least I understand how it should be wired.

If I can re-use the current converter then it'll likely be one to two hours work so £45->£90. I won't know until I see it.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

The convertor that I've got seems to only send a pulse signal out to 77 mph then it just holds there.

This is a pain for the Blitz powermeter and Sat-nav I've fitted which need a speed signal to work correctly.

Another problem I have is my speedo reads 20% over than it should be.

Would fitting the trl convertor and junking the one I've got fix these problems? If so do you work Saturdays at all?

Cheers

Tony