The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange Aux/V belt area squeal!

supRo

My Car (6 speed TT) has developed a strange high pitched squeal that increases with load - This is not the normal noise you get with a dodgy V belt.

I have got a new power steering pump bearing, new water pump and new V belt tensioner. The V belt was about 8 months old.

I had the car checked out and it was determined that it's probably the V belt as when sprayed with a little WD40 (I know this isn't good for the belt but just to test with) the noise went away, although the noise came straight back. The V belt had no damage when removed and the pulleys had no visible damage or play althought the crank pulley has slight face-surface rust. A new V belt was put on and it totally cured the problem and we tested it several times with load. I went home smiling as the car was back to normal.

After the car had cooled down and I started her up again...The same noise is back! :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit to say: I'm trying to get some ideas hopefully before I take it back to the garage.

Thanks,

Ro

When mine did that it was because the outer part of the crank pulley was sometimes slipping against the inner part. Obviously this meant I needed a new pulley.

Worth double checking anyway.

Thanks Jake - Does the Crank pulley come as one whole pulley ie. the outer and inner?

if you still taking your car to GSK bodyshop tommorow i'll pop round there and have a look :)

Yes it is Abs, I'd be grateful if you could have a look.

Cheers,

Ro

Thanks to Jake for suggesting a Dodgy Crank Pulley.

A big thanks to Absxxxx for taking the trouble to put my car on a ramp and check the car out properly...indeed a dodgy crank pulley!

The Pulley space on Abs's Supra is 1.35mm, on mines it's sticking out by 32mm!! This is also making the Aux belt go in a slight angle.

Time to get a new Crank Pulley!

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

:thumbs:

Good job you spotted it before it came off completely! Thay can do a lot of damage when they fly off.

Thanks.

Hopefully I can get one fitted for Tuesday, starting work in Amsterdam on Wenesday or Thursday, flying back Friday eve and then it's the France Gumball so Hopefully it's all sorted by then!