The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting problem (with Sound Clip)

d9988

I posted a question a while back but it probably got overlooked due to many starter type threads, plus the lack of specific info. Kind of hard to diagnose something based off a described "sound."

So, I just recorded the sound I get when I try to start the car:

Sound clip

If that doesn't work please click here and download it

The car had the same symptoms 1 year ago. Same sound and everything. I replaced the metal contacts in the starter according to the thread on this site, which instantly fixed the problem and I was problem free for over a year. The same symptoms lead me to believe it's related to the starter again, though it seems odd since I just rebuilt it a year ago. When I first started having the problem a week ago I could eventually get it to start, although I haven't been able to get it to start at all over the last couple days.

I had the battery and alternator checked earlier in the week - they said it was fine. I also tried using a jumper cable AND a hooking up a brand new battery but that did not help.

I checked the connections on the starter and they look fine. I tested and saw 10-12 volts going to both wires (the small one when I turned the ignition switch). That seems to rule out wiring/relay/switch problems but I could be wrong.

If it is the starter, I'll pull it out and check it out (though I'm not looking forward to that too much), but I wanted to post the sound clip here and see if there was any feedback that would indicate other possible tests or problems this could be before I do that.

Is there anything else in the starter that can go bad?

Cannot download your sound clip as our office system will not allow it, however, you say you measure 10-12 volts at the starter.......that's low!

Is your problem a clicking sound when you try to strt? If so that is the starter relay trying to throw in the dog to mesh with the starter ring and not managing it because there is insufficient voltage to turn the starter.

If it turns over but slowly, then it could be a winding problem in the starter, as the coils heat up, their resistance can increase at a fault position.

Starters take about 500 amps to start an engine so a very, very small resistance in the starter circuit can cause insufficient current to flow........basic Voltage over Amps or voltage over resistance...........ohms law.

Have you had the battery properly tested(discharge test)? One cell down can result in starting problems.

You say you changed out the contacts in the starter relay------is your starter the type where the relay is piggy-backed on top of the starter? If you "had" to chasnge out the contacts it suggests your starter could be goosed..............agree without listening to your sound-byte above is only general, but does cover the ore usual starter problems.

George

Guest Marcus1

thats difinitly the starter i had the same problem had the whole thing rebuilt, i advise going to a reputable shop to get done right, i believe the ring gear in mine was worn out wicth made the strange noise that i hear on your sound clip.