The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windows Vista again.........

Steviekid

Like most people I have two DVD drives in my computer which both worked fine with XP. Since installing vista (which I now quite like otherwise and I don't have an XP disk anyway) only one comes up at a time. Both of the drives work if they're the only one plugged in, and either work plugged in either plug, they just won't come up at the same time! :(

I borrowed a drive from work and it does the same thing so I don't think it's the drive. The DVD drives are two and a half years old now but I get the feeling if I buy a new one it still won't work! When both are plugged in, it seems to favour the DVD player rather than the writer but the writer does work when plugged in by itself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Guest Nicholas

Are both drives running off one IDE cable? if so check the jumpers one of my friends recently installed vista and it didn't like the drives being set to cable select :)

Are both drives running off one IDE cable? if so check the jumpers one of my friends recently installed vista and it didn't like the drives being set to cable select :)

I don't really know what that means! :stupid: Both the power and the ribbon type cables come from the same source on the PSU and motherboard respectively if you see what I mean.

We're seeing if that's the problem Martin.

There are three sets of two pins on the back between the audio sockets and the input cable. If you look just above them they will be stamped "Ma, Sl, CS".

If they're both set to CS, try setting one to Ma and the other to CS. You should be able to tell which is which from the cable but TBH it doesn't really matter which way round.

There are three sets of two pins on the back between the audio sockets and the input cable. If you look just above them they will be stamped "Ma, Sl, CS".

I'm with you now! One was set to slave and one to master so I put them both on CS and they both work now!! :)

Thanks a lot mate, that's been really pissing me off for about a month now!!