The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Squeeky Clutch

Dark Angel

Any ideas - Getting a squeeky sound from my clutch - sound comes out from under the car towards the front - if I depress the clutch the sound goes (just b4 the biting point) but with my foot off the clutch it squeeks like hell.

Really don't want to go to a garage and getting ripped off to hell - haven't got much money left, this sup is draining my funds...

Any ideas or engineers want to give us a hand??? ;)

Yeah it sounds like the same thing - what did you do in the end..

I know what your saying - in the last year I've had 2 tyres due to blow outs on the same wheel, exhaust, full service - and this very embarressing and irratating squeeky sound.

Let us know what you've done about it?

Cheers

Nothing as yet. It's been going for a while - Paul Whiffin pointed it out when I had my car serviced with him about 18 months ago when it was barely audible to me. So it's something you should be able to live with for a while. Mine's very noticable now though, so I guess it's that much nearer packing up.

:looney:

Well I'm trying to sale it and I think its gonna screw my chance because its quite noticeable, I kinda drive around with my foot slightly pressed down because its too embarressing driving a nice car like this with that shitty sound coming from under it.. ;)

Just wanna get an idea of how much, not sure if its the whole thing that need replacing or just the ball bearing...

Where is this Mr Whiff based in the uk??

Originally posted by Dark Angel

Well I'm trying to sale it and I think its gonna screw my chance because its quite noticeable, I kinda drive around with my foot slightly pressed down because its too embarressing driving a nice car like this with that shitty sound coming from under it.. ;)

Just wanna get an idea of how much, not sure if its the whole thing that need replacing or just the ball bearing...

Where is this Mr Whiff based in the uk??

Gearbox out was the advice I received, hence I guess it's the labour that's gonna kill ya, not the parts cost.

Paul is in north central London.

:looney:

On the passenger side of the gearbox, there is a little metal access window (for setting the clutch ?) held on by 2 bolts. Remove the panel and spray some lubricant onto the 2 pivoting joints that you can just see in the darkness and work the peddle for a minute. Worth a try, worked for me, was a 10 minute job including jacking it up.

Probably because my mechanic brother did it :)

My squeaking was awful, this sorted it a treat, but I did have to revisit every few months.

Hope this helps someone. Those sort of things really get to me !

Cheers for the input wilson - however had Woodcock Garage in Surry put some oil or lub in something that sounds like whta you describe - went away for a week then came back again :(

Doomed to fork out hundreds of pounds... it will have to wait though. more important bills to pay.... ;)

Croydon - if you hear the squeek you know its Matt's sup coming around the corner... followed by the base ofcourse :p

In that case, I would have another go at it yourself, just try not to go too mad with the spray, as the clutch is in there somewhere (maybe?) :)

In case you cant tell, I really dont know what Im talking about. Most of what I have written is 2nd hand info from my bro, but I DID do the revisit sprays and it really couldnt be easier. :)

I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms as dark angel on mine. It is so annoying! Thing is mine has a new clutch on it!! Slight depression of the clutch pedal and the noise goes away.

I am lucky enough to know a few mechanics, so I will ask them to have a look at it. Cheers for the info Wilson, I'll get them to have a go at that I think. I'll let you know what they say.

Hey Red, yeah lets us know what they find - Dangerous - I've already had that done - it kept it quite for about a week... not really practical to keep doing that... The mechanics that have heard it reckon it was gonna be the ballbearing (but obviously not conclusive unless they open it all up) Either way I'm just gonna wait, put some money by and then maybe get the lot done...:baa:

you sure it's not the clutch through the bulkhead needing some lubrication? I've had it on my last 3 manual cars, n a quick bit of lube sorted the problem.

Wouldnt happen to have started with it being dry for a few days then getting wet eh?

Ok, peeps I've done the greese thing, lube thing, oil thing... it hasn't helped ;) - its been this way for over 9months now... squeeky squeeky squeeky.... :p

No choice now - I'm not technical enough to do anything about it....

Garage scenario for me....

Sounds like its the clutch release fork thats squeeking, this was a common problem with the MR2 GT Turbo.. quick fix was to squirt wd40 but this is risky because the fork is right next to the clutch..

whether its the same on the supra i wouldnt have a clue