The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank case breather setup - how have you done?

Thomas.B

Hey!

So I did my mot the other week and had to fix the crank case breather as the one on the right side of the engine went out to a little filter (not legal in Sweden).

I think they missed the left one as it was only a short pipe straight out.

Either I need to hide them both so it's not visible that they are open or I need a good solution that won't cause issues.

I just redirected the pipe into the piping before the filter just so it passed the mot, but put it back as it was after again.

Any thoughts or pictures of how you've done?

Cheers :)

Car is a single turbo with a little over 500whp.

T them both into the a baffled catch can, and run the outlet of this back into the intake just before the turbo/s, this way most of the oil vapor will drop out before it goes back into the intake.

:yeahthat:

Whifbitz did a nice catch can that mounts near the suspension, you can either put a vent to atmos filter on or as above run back to the intake ;)

Thanks!

Looked at the whifbitz kit and that seems good! Just that it still has a breather filter and i don't know if that would be legal for me... The left side breather could'nt see where that should fit as it didn't come with more than 1 pipe and a filter?

cheers

This is my current setup

https://ibb.co/eoWTq5

They really only said something about the blue pipe with the filter on but when I went in to do the after check they mentioned it but it was a friend so he let it pass.

So basically just wanna hide them in some way not effecting the engine.

If I make a catch tank and put both cables to it and then a outlet for a filter in the bottom so it's not visible, would that be a good solution?

The problem with the filter at the bottom is any oil would run out instead of being caught by the catch can :D

Looks like the exhaust side is already routing back into the intake.

Are you sure that blue pipe isnt for the idle control valve, can you get a pic of where it comes off the engine?

Agreed! i would as i said before just T the two cam cover breathers together (presuming the one way valve has been removed) or if you have a catch can that can take two inlets and one outlet use both, and just run the outlet back to the turbo intake, the can if baffled or filled with stainless scourers, coupled with the long pipe runs will allow for most of the oil vapor to drop out, and not be detrimental to the combustion process.

It will also help with ring seal and engine oil seals, and still comply with your country's emissions laws, here is a pic of my old setup.

The catch can when emptied only contained a small amount of oil and mostly water from condensation.