The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel pump upgrade question (not fitment)

spartan

Now that I've fitted the Tanabe exhaust, the whine from the Walbro pump (as fitted by the previous owner who was obviously thinking of going BPU but never did completely) is even more noticeable than it was before (it could be heard even above the RS*R at idle!). :taped:

I realise that this noise might not bother some people but I didn't change a perfectly decent (albeit fairly loud :innocent:) exhaust, just so I could listen to this (as annoying to me as like trying to sleep with a mosquito buzzing around)!

Anyway, I'm determined to change the pump now but I'm vacillating between going back to JDM stock or putting a 'proper', quiet Denso fuel pump in (like the UK one).

My current thinking is, as it's already been messed with, I may as well replace it with another upgrade pump which would still give me the opportunity to go BPU at some point in the future.

However, if I do go with an upgrade pump and I'm still basically stock, am I going to do any 'harm'? For example, is there a chance that the stock fuel pressure regulator won't be able to cope with the upgraded pump?

Any advice gratefully received.

Right - had a look at the Walbro pump that had been fitted by the previous owner. The cover plate showed no signs that anyone had been near it and I was beginning to doubt that an upgrade pump was fitted ... until I saw the plastic 'doughnut' ring that secures the pump hanger to the tank - battle-scarred from having been battered off/on before.

I would imagine that Toyota have a special tool to tackle this but I had a brainwave - quick 'shufty' through the kitchen drawers came up with this (see picture attached): a "Boa Constrictor". I think its intended purpose is for stubborn jam jar lids, etc. but it works a treat on this bloomin' ring!

I did the trick to avoid spraying myself with petrol before undoing the banjo bolt (disconnect plug from socket then turn the engine over a few times) - no spurtage and no problems restarting the car later either. I didn't even bother to put my cigar out. ;)

Anyway, hanger carefully removed revealed a well fitted Walbro pump - correct model (outlet on correct side to align with pipes), staggered wire joins and properly insulated.

Of course the difficulties of fitting a proper Denso (195130-) pump now become apparent:

• the pump is longer and 'fatter' than either the stock JDM pump or the Walbro so it won't fit between the base of the hanger and the pipework and it doesn't quite fit the rubber pump base either;
  • the outlet is in a different place so, even if it wasn't too long, the outlet won't align with the existing pipework without some 'surgery';
  • electrical terminals are different so it'll need rewiring (again).

I decided not to 'bodge' it just yet so I'm now on the look-out for a UK fuel pump hanger. In the meantime, I've put the Walbro back but I think I may have improved the noise situation quite dramatically.

I noticed that there is very little clearance between the outlet of the Walbro pump and the hanger pipework; I could see that unless you were very careful installing the short piece of fuel pipe that joins the two, they could touch - metal to metal - which could result in some pump noise being transmitted (and possibly amplified) to the hanger assembly and, hence, the car boot/interior.

Therefore, before rejoining the pump and pipework, I substituted the naff jubilee clips with some proper fuel clamps (size 13 or 15 should be appropriate for 5/16 hose) AND before I tightened them up fully, I just put a bit of tension on the bottom of the pump/hanger assembly to ensure that a gap between pump and pipe was maintained.

Did it work? Well, I can't say for sure that it was that or just refitting/reseating the pump played a part but I cannot hear the pump inside the car anymore at idle :)

Anybody interested in a brand new Denso 195130-0872 pump? ;) It's actually manufactured by Kyosan (895091-0810) and somewhat of a rarity (found this).

IMG_0810 (Large).JPG

Edited by spartan
More details on Denso/Kyosan pump. (see edit history)