The mkiv Supra Owners Club

j-spec to uk-spec front brake upgrade

chilli

Hi all,

I’d like to do the seemingly obligatory front brake upgrade from j-spec to uk spec at some point.

My car is a 96, I understand that the discs may already be the same as the uk spec ones if it originally came with 17” wheels, is this definitely true? If I measure them they should be 320mm in diameter I take it?

Does anyone know how much extra clearance I’m going to need between the new uk spec 4 pot callipers and the wheels, compared to the old j-spec 2 pot ones?

If it turns out I need spacers, is this generally considered ok, or a nono? Any idea’s where to get them.

For the callipers, I’m thinking of waiting until some second hand ones come along, as I believe they are a reasonable £ new. For the discs, I don’t mind buying new ones, although if good condition second hand ones come along then I’d obviously use those.

Anyone know of a good disc manufacturer (EBC etc) that make a good disc upgrade (ones that don’t rust would be nice), or is the standard spec part as good as any?

Sorry if this is a repost, I have searched and not been able to find all the info needed, cheers!

My car is a 96, I understand that the discs may already be the same as the uk spec ones if it originally came with 17” wheels, is this definitely true? If I measure them they should be 320mm in diameter I take it?

If it's an RZ it will definitely have the big brakes, otherwise it may have. Have a look at the calipers, they are quite different - you should be able to find photos of both types on here. Front discs are 323mm vs 295 I think for the smaller ones.

Anyone know of a good disc manufacturer (EBC etc) that make a good disc upgrade (ones that don’t rust would be nice), or is the standard spec part as good as any?

Standard ones are fine. I've switched to DBA slotted discs now as I managed to warp the standard ones, but you are unlikely to do this unless you're doing trackdays with big braking zones.

ok cheers, yes its a jap spec RZ-S, sounds like I need to locate those pics then to check for the differences in the callipers and get measuring for the discs too!!!

Will any of the model/chassis number tell me whats fitted I wonder, guess just looking at the pics will tell me...

I take it discs and callipers can't be mixed...

Even for hard use (e.g. track), Jake?
I'd want UK spec all round for track use but that's because the Jap ones overheat and fade badly, and surprisingly quickly.

I've done some pretty hard driving on the road with UK fronts and Jap rears and never had a problem. Lots of guys run UK fronts without a problem.

Thanks for the pics, I'm not so sure I know what I have now lol

The calipers I have do have the supra logo on them, so in that respect they look like the uk spec ones in the pic you have posted. I will check tonight. I'm hoping they are because they look damn close to the large 18" wheels I have, can't see how I'd get a larger calliper on there!

I agree wth Jake, from what I've gathered, whatever you do, upgrade the fronts first to uk spec, if the braking still isnt satisfactory then do the rears too, but for the road, probably the fronts only is good enough.

I've checked and alas they look like j-spec brakes for sure :(

I think there is loads of room diameter wise, but depth wise, looks like there is only 5 or 6mm clearance at the moment, sounds like spacers would be needed doesn't it - and longer wheel studs to match...

Booo, oh well, that will give me something to do one weekend! anyone know where the best place to get spacers and studs is?