The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sh*t could use some help

Fifty

Ello all

Well, some time ago as you recall I got out my tools and did a plug change. Of course I broke 3 coil pack clips, as you do. Then transposed a wire which was promptly cut off by a guy at APMotors Plympton.

Following 5 code 14 failures on the M5 and M6 and one trailer ride home courtesy of the RAC I ordered new WIRES and clips, and said guy soldered the new wires (terminal repair kit 82998-12440) and fitted a new clip - fine I thought (its been 2 months now!)end of story....

Oh no its failed again; the heat has haredened the wires where he soldered them and Im back to code 14 and an undrivable car.

This job is possible to do plenty hacve done it on Supra.com and the wires are sold by Toyota to splice in. Can anybody help as to wh ythis has gone wrong and suggest the empirical way to solder 2 wires together and protect.

There is just no way I can buy an engine loom so dont even suggest that. AP Motors cut the wire so I guess they are liable arent they??

Embaressingly no; I dont posess a soldering iron and have 2 left hands :ecstatic: I reckon the problem is the loom wires are probably not clean so he didnt flux it enough so the solder only stuck to the new wires ; does that make sense? Im really concerned about driving it like this though because of poetential for nasties like bore wash. The garage is 25 miles away.

thx for helping btw; any more suggestions

Yes m8 so would I but its defo the join - just bad soldering I guess??

Anyone else - this little tw*t defies all normal laws its just a wire FFS.

50 :cry:

Fifty

When soldering, make sure that both parts of the splice are heated through so the solder flows fully into the splice and not just round the surface where it can become brittle and break (a dry joint).

If done correctly it should prove stronger than the rest of the cable.

Once done, cover with either heat shrink (apply before splicing as its a tube) or self amalgamating tape which bonds to itself and provides a good isulated covering.

Hope this helps, good luck

Dave

Now fixed - I managed to drive one sick car the 20 miles to APMotors.

Probably the most shit drive I ever had folk laughing and taking the piss lol

Well looks like I'll have to show my ass on the market- as they oop North.

It wasnt the dear lads wires it was 2 OTHER coil pack clips that was causing it. Fortuatously I had 2 new ones with me; 10 mins later no misfire. These really are little bastards arent they.

The car now has major power, she must have been rough for a while.

Mind you everything said about soldering is still correct.

:thanku: