The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starter issue Help Needed..

Guest b15njy

Guys after some advice..

My TT wount start, it just sounds like a clicking sound from the starter which im 99% sure it is, im going to order a new one tomorrow but my issue is were the car is parked it isnt suitable to change the starter and i need it moved , any ideas what i can do, the car started to do it this week but after a few clicks it started but tonight it wount budge. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-MK4-JZA80-3-0-inc-TT-TWIN-TURBO-STARTER-MOTOR-SOLENOID-REPAIR-KIT-/290656849687?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ac7f8f17

I can't vouch for ease of fitting or quality but just read the other guy's comments. :)

You'll find that the car will start if you keep trying long enough and may appear to be fine for a while but it's all down to the weather from that point on. The motors are 4 brush jobbies and I can't imagine wearing out those, so your best bet is to replace the solenoid contacts or solenoid unit that the motor is connected to. Either way, it's a bit of a job. Well worth the hassle though.

Edited by Morpheus
Typographical error. (see edit history)

Have you tried starting it for a good five minutes? I mean, repeated attempts. I found that rapid attempts would yield results eventually but you have to be ready to leave the ignition on when it cranks and not just switch it off again from habit. Seriously, the heat from the attempted contacts will expand them enough to make a decent connection after a while, trust me. You can also try to heat the unit gently or failing that, tap it with a hammer incase it's stuck.

One of my MKIII's went on like this for weeks before it finally refused to start. Very frustrating business. You might notice that the tapping gets more metallic as it wears out. Then you're dependent upon the distance the spark can travel across the electrodes so having a fully topped up battery will help. They could design these solenoids to outlast the car but there's no money in that.

It's called 'designed obsolescence.'

Re-charge the battery to full and it might work, on a sunny afternoon, if you swear at it long enough :D

Just mumble the words, "Scrap" and "Yard" in the same sentence. I know it's cruel but it works a treat! ;)

Edited by Morpheus
Final draft :-p (see edit history)

ok ill keep trying just huge pain. dont want to burn out the motor of flood the car to much it wount start.

Don't worry about flooding the motor as the injectors shouldn't fire until the crank rotates. Excess fuel would be pumped out of the exhaust valves immediately and lost past the rings before it built up anyway.

Also, the motor shouldn't start until the solenoid engages the pinion in the flywheel or flexplate so that shouldn't be an issue either. Infact, I think the power to the motor is only connected by the extension of the solenoid and a successful contact which is what actually powers the motor. That is to say, the solenoid goes in and out but the motor doesn't receive power as the connection isn't being made successfully.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)