The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving in France

lust2luv

I'm driving down to the South of France next week, never driven on the continent before, and was wondering a few things:

1. Any fixed speed cameras in France?

2. Do they use unmarked traffic cars much?

3. I understand you can get speeding fines for reaching tolls too quickly, but are they every few miles or just on exits (like in the US mostly), so you can just stop up in a rest area for a bit before leaving the toll road?

4. What petrol do I use? (I only use Optimax in the UK) Do Shell or anyone have any performance fuels? Do they quote octane on the pumps?

Cheers for any help! :thumbs:

Of course I won't be speeding. :innocent: "I thought those signs were in mph officer!"

:looney:

1. Yes, but only about 3 on the ring road around Paris. Whatever you do, don't take a speed camera detector with you - they are illegal in France, and if you get stopped and they see anything that looks suspicous they will take you car to bits in order to rip it out and confiscate it.

2. Not sure but I don't think so. They seem to use bike cops with speed guns.

3. I heard this, but to be honest I think it's only a few places, if at all. Some stretches you don't take a ticket at the beginning you just pay at the end anyway. It doesn't happed automatically anyway, it would have to be the police camped out at the toll booths.

4. You can get 98 octane anywhere in France. They don't have Optimax, it's called something else. All the pumps have 95 Sans Plomb and 98 Sans Plomb (unleaded) written on.

Probably best not to go too mad, they can arrest you and sling you in jail if you're going more than 125mph for having an offensive weapon or something. There are some great N roads in France too. Big long straights with three lanes (i.e. shared overtaking lane). There are 30mph limits through the towns (which you should stick to because that's where any speed traps will be) and national limit on the rest. Really great driving roads as long as you have someone in the passenger seat to say "yes" or "no" to overtaking opportunities...

Fixed Speed Cameras - Yes, one of the weeklies (Auto Plus?) has a map of them all.

Mobile Cameras - Yes, the Gendarmerie use blue or white unmarked cars with digital cameras concealed in them. Look for dark panels next to the rear number plate and dark tinted windows. French police cars also have a different number plate format form the usual nnnn aa nn format.

Also pay attention to traffic coming the other way flashing headlights - speed trap ahead. Another to watch out for is a speed trap immeadiately after a speed trap. I've counted over 20 on the same road. You think you've passed the trap and are home and dry - when there's another. You will also find them at night. I don't want to put you off, but keep your eyes open. Last but not least, don't get caught doing 200km/h they can ban you on the spot! TAXI!

Autoroute Tolls are generally only at join and exit points, except where the road becomes a city ring-road (free) when you'll find them at the start and end of the free bits. Yes, stop for a coffee and gain time back. Watch what the bikers do. They stop after collecting the ticket from the toll-booth, have a smoke and then thrash off down the road.

98 octane unleaded is available from supermarkets, so you'll never have a problem.

Good idea is carry a spare 150€ just in case because on-the-spot fines have to be paid.

Finally, expect crowds around your car. Supras are VERY rare in France. My main dealer had never even seen one before I turned up one day... "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" etc.