The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam Cover Refresh/Replacement

Wez

Hey All,

I am looking at tidying up the cam covers and welding a -12 outlet on the exhaust side, does the list of bits below look like everything I need, the details were taken from Tonys valve stem replacement guide :thumbs:

The prices may have changed now.

Cam cover bolts 90105-06166 12 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover nut 90179-06288 4 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover washer 90210-07001 16 off at £1.83 each

Cam cover gasket (Inlet) 11213-46020 1 off at £7.53 each

Cam cover gasket (Exhaust) 11214-46011 1 off at £7.53 each

Seal packing 08826-00050 1 off at £42.96

While they are off I may as well replace the cam cover breather hoses and get some coil pack clips in case any fall apart.

Coil pack clip 90980-11246 6 off at £2.81 each

Cam breather hose 12263-46010 1 off at £5.78 each

Cam breather hose 12264-46010 1 off at £4.98 each

Any tips for preparing and painting the covers?

(except mine will be #10 on each cover)

Interesting as I was looking at -10 but most said -12 is better suited. I have a -10 weld on fitting already where I will need to buy all the -12 bits.

Why are you doing the inlet side, doesnt it have a one way valve to prevent oil contamination under boost?

Is it needed when just removing and replacing the cam covers?

i used loctite black silcone sealant cost about £4.50 IIRC, still doing its job 2 years later, how Toyota can justify £45 for a tube of sealant is beyond, i like to use all genuine Toyota spares but i drew the line with that sealant

Interesting as I was looking at -10 but most said -12 is better suited. I have a -10 weld on fitting already where I will need to buy all the -12 bits.

Why are you doing the inlet side, doesnt it have a one way valve to prevent oil contamination under boost?

Mine are both going to a catch can and then (eventually) finding their way into the exhaust :) I didn't think I could fit a #12 on the inlet side and even the exhaust side looked a little bit tight as the compressor housing is an "H" which means it reasonably large with a 3" outlet.

If I was going with a normal catch can and then to the turbo inlet (or atmosphere) I would probably go with #12 on the exhaust side and probably leave the inlet side alone with the PCV.

If I was going with a normal catch can and then to the turbo inlet (or atmosphere) I would probably go with #12 on the exhaust side and probably leave the inlet side alone with the PCV.

Exactly what I am planning so will go with a -12 :thumbs:

Hey All,

I am looking at tidying up the cam covers and welding a -12 outlet on the exhaust side, does the list of bits below look like everything I need, the details were taken from Tonys valve stem replacement guide :thumbs:

The prices may have changed now.

Cam cover bolts 90105-06166 12 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover nut 90179-06288 4 off at £0.56 each

Cam cover washer 90210-07001 16 off at £1.83 each

Cam cover gasket (Inlet) 11213-46020 1 off at £7.53 each

Cam cover gasket (Exhaust) 11214-46011 1 off at £7.53 each

Seal packing 08826-00050 1 off at £42.96

While they are off I may as well replace the cam cover breather hoses and get some coil pack clips in case any fall apart.

Coil pack clip 90980-11246 6 off at £2.81 each

Cam breather hose 12263-46010 1 off at £5.78 each

Cam breather hose 12264-46010 1 off at £4.98 each

Any tips for preparing and painting the covers?

The standard finish comes off very easily with paint stripper and a paint scraper leaving the bare casting. Then add your choice of finish.

I would go with powdercoat for a tough durable easy to clean finish.

The standard finish comes off very easily with paint stripper and a paint scraper leaving the bare casting. Then add your choice of finish.

I would go with powdercoat for a tough durable easy to clean finish.

Thanks, where would I get them powder coated?

EDIT: just done a search on yell and there are at least 3 places within a couple of miles :thumbs:

Edited by Wez (see edit history)

Thanks, where would I get them powder coated?

EDIT: just done a search on yell and there are at least 3 places within a couple of miles :thumbs:

Just make sure that they don't blast media blast the covers, chemical cleaning only unless you are breaking them open.

I would also mention that it is an engine critical part (hence the chemical clean) also show them where you don't want the powdercoating.

I found a local powder coating place, £50 per wheel to have them stripped back and then done in matt black, £40 for both cam covers and the centre plastic :thumbs:

Hopefully I will have a spare set of cam covers to get prepped by the end of the week.