The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ACl bearings...what to go for

csa

I was going to put the normal type ACL bearings in my new engine, but have just found out that they only come in one size.

My crank is stock sized and if I were to use stock Toyota bearings the sizes would be 6 x nr3 and 1x nr2 for mains. the rod bearing sizes are unknown so far as I havent got my eagle rods home yet.

But I'm really unsure if I should go with the ACL ones or just stock bearings.

Surely toyota made different sizes for a reason...?

really need feedback on this one :search:

What you need is my spreadsheet for working out clearances. :) Basically the difference between the sizes of the Toyota ones are very small. A no. 2 standard bearing is 1.997mm-2.0mm and a no.3 is 2.0-2.003mm. So a 0.003mm difference, which is pretty tiny.

The spreadsheet I did lets you put the measured sizes of the main journal bores and crank journal diameters in. It then calculates the correct standard and Power Enterprise bearing sizes, but you can override those and put the size range for the bearings you are looking at in and it will work out the oil clearance and tell you if it's in the stock tolerance range.

Bear in mind though that I measured the size of my ACL bearings at a bit smaller than the stated size on their website. So my clearances were initially a bit on the large side. ACL do make different sizes, they make a +0.025mm set too. So I combined one half of a standard size bearing and one of a +0.025mm to get a bearing 0.0125mm bigger and reduce my clearances to bang in the middle of the range.

Have a look at this thread, the spreadsheet is in there somewhere along with some other info.

EDIT: Post 55 on page 4 has the spreadsheet, post 91 has the measurements I took. Post 105 is where I mixed the bearings and installed them.

Edited by SimonB (see edit history)

Ok, but the crank is completely stock, so wouldn't be possible to go from the numbers written on the crank and block? which 4,2,3,3,3,3,3 on the crank and 2,5,3,1,3,3,4 on the block

You could do, but it will have worn a bit, and you'll take a bit more off by polishing it. Always better to measure it. That spreadsheet of mine also lets you just use the numbers and it will work out the sizes from that if you want.