The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant Circulation

megawatts

Having checked the Heater matrix, cleaned and cleared everything (potential airlocks etc), there is almost no water flow from the matrix Inflow pipe to the matrix. It means virtually no coolant flow Into the matrix, so no heat inside the car. I can have this physically disconnected and open, and no coolant comes out of it! I imagine I could drive the car with this left off, and open!

I noticed in the snow that the left side of the engine was taking the ice/snow off the bonnet, and NOT the side where the exhaust is, where you would expect a lot of heat.

The Thermostat has been removed by a previous owner, so cooling is always full on, via the Rad. Replacing the thermostat has the engine overheating very quickly. i.e. just on idle it goes very high..

Is this is faulty water pump? With the thermostat bypassed, the engine runs smooth, lots of power, no coolant loss via the exhaust, or any head gasket issues. If there was no coolant flow, surely the engine would very badly overheat..thermostat bypassed or not.

So many things sound wrong with this set up and also sound like you have the potential to really do some damage if not sorted

First of all taking out the thermo as a fix is a bad idea and I would replace with a new one

It sounds like your heater matrix is completly blocked, you can bypass this (some will say this also is a bad idea)

You need to get the water pump checked but if you are running normally at times then I doubt it has failed, again worth a check

You say it has overheated in the past, this is never a good thing and I would avoid this at all costs going forward again

If you ave no coolant flow when the pipes or open to the matrix inlet does sound like a pump or blockage issue however

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

Hi, I have had the matrix out, and its clean and clear. There is simply very little if any pressure coming from the inflow pipe from the enegione. the engine only overheats when a thermostat is fitted. I have had the car like this since I bought it 3 years ago. Its only now, after checvking for airlocks, removing the whole dash, to get at the matrix, that eventually found the thermostat was actually removed, (the O ring it was mounted in, was left in). Why no pressure in the upper matrix inflow pipe.. thus thinking there is a blockage somewhere or the water pump is not doing much. At this point, with this weather, the car is undriveable.

QUOTE=tooquicktostop;2270832]So many things sound wrong with this set up and also sound like you have the potential to really do some damage if not sorted

First of all taking out the thermo as a fix is a bad idea and I would replace with a new one

It sounds like your heater matrix is completly blocked, you can bypass this (some will say this also is a bad idea)

You need to get the water pump checked but if you are running normally at times then I doubt it has failed, again worth a check

You say it has overheated in the past, this is never a good thing and I would avoid this at all costs going forward again

If you ave no coolant flow when the pipes or open to the matrix inlet does sound like a pump or blockage issue however