The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Side Mount Bucket Seat Fitment

jevansio

I'm a bit confused when it comes to the options I have for fitting bucket seats. I'm after the lightest setup & there's only me who drives the car.

If I were to get side mount buckets, do I need a subframe the slides or can you get those aluminium side plates that bolt directly into the Supra. Would I be a little stupid to have the seats so they don't slide.

I already have bride subframes on my Recaros, could I make use of these and say bolt the sidemount seats to these.

I'm thinking along the Cobra range at the moment, particularly like these:

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/gfx/Cobra/CobraSebring1L.jpg

Any other options or pics of peoples bucket seat setups would be appreciated.

jevansio, i posted up this for IMI a while back might help http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=146277

i did contemplate having the seats fixed but its where you fix them to that is the problem as all the proper mounting holes are no where near and you would have to pack them up as well to get the height correct, the other problem was "what if i dont get the seats just right" then your into redrilling or slotting into the floor pan - messy, i would not use the Cobra sliders as they weigh a ton and i spent a lot of work hacking, drilling and rewelding to make them as light as i could, in hindsight i would have gone for the ally ones and adapted them

jevansio, i posted up this for IMI a while back might help http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=146277

i did contemplate having the seats fixed but its where you fix them to that is the problem as all the proper mounting holes are no where near and you would have to pack them up as well to get the height correct, the other problem was "what if i dont get the seats just right" then your into redrilling or slotting into the floor pan - messy, i would not use the Cobra sliders as they weigh a ton and i spent a lot of work hacking, drilling and rewelding to make them as light as i could, in hindsight i would have gone for the ally ones and adapted them

Many thanks Paul :thumbs:

I have been mulling over the fixed/slide approach & had sort of come to the conclusion that the extra weight added by a sliding setup is well worth the flexibility it gives.

Do you think I should stick with my bride subframes and fabricate fixings for the sidemount seats to them?

Loads of great info & pics in that thread mate, that's exactly what I was looking for

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Many thanks Paul :thumbs:

I have been mulling over the fixed/slide approach & had sort of come to the conclusion that the extra weight added by a sliding setup is well worth the flexibility it gives.

Do you think I should stick with my bride subframes and fabricate fixings for the sidemount seats to them?

Loads of great info & pics in that thread mate, that's exactly what I was looking for

i dont know a thing about the Bride sub frames but i'm sure they will be better quality than the Cobra ones, i used ally plate (6mm x 80mm IIRC) as you can see in the pics as cross members and did away with all the clunky steel, if you haven't got them get ally side mounts as well as again the steel ones are very heavy, i think Wez posted about where to get them from as i couldn't remember :(

i dont know a thing about the Bride sub frames but i'm sure they will be better quality than the Cobra ones, i used ally plate (6mm x 80mm IIRC) as you can see in the pics as cross members and did away with all the clunky steel, if you haven't got them get ally side mounts as well as again the steel ones are very heavy, i think Wez posted about where to get them from as i couldn't remember :(

OK cheers Paul, I think I know which direction I'm heading with this now, much appreciated :)

What did you decide :innocent:

:D, I'm going to keep my bride subframes (to retain slidability), and use aluminium sidemounts mated to the bride subframes. I'll identify any areas that could benefit from weight reduction along the way, and don't mind modifying the bride frames to match my new seats perfectly (even if it means they'll be no use to any other seat afterwards). This is of course as long as the subframes arn't a silly weight :)