The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OK, not quite a new member, but...

paul2supra

I've never actually posted before! Despite owning 2 Supra SZs in the past, both manual, both silver, both pretty stock...it's nothing personal of course, just I've never got into these forum things yet. Guess I have now!

I'm just after some advice really. I've tried the sensible route since my last Supra: Mazda MX-3 - awful - lasted 3 months, and my current 4th UK Prelude 2.2VTEC. Awesome car really for what I paid with low miles and full history, and does everything I need it to, but...and it's a big BUT:

I can't get bl**dy Supras out of my head! So, do I go the sensible route and buy another SZ (thinking sathorburn's old one now up for sale again, or similar), go the whole hog and find a reasonable RZ/GZ in the region of 7k, or compromise with an SZ-R? If anyone has owned both an n/a and a tt, what sort or diffs in running costs are there between the 3, assuming they are all running pretty stock? :confused:

Help, before the missus brains me for my indecision...:slapped:

I guess it could be a case of ask a stupid question...think it's one of those itches that won't go away until I've scratched it, so perhaps I should get a tt now while there seems to be a few decent ones to choose from!

Like a lot of people, I'm a little scared of the unknown, and have never owned a turbo car ever - always avoided them, despite owning roughly 1 car a year for the last 10 years or so!

How resilient are the Supra's turbos? I know the JDMs are ceramic and the UKs are steel, but which is better/stronger? How often should/could they need rebuilding/reconditioning?

And one last question (for now!) - what can I expect for £6-7k in terms of condition/mileage/expected further costs in your expert opinions?

Thanks

I've never actually posted before! Despite owning 2 Supra SZs in the past, both manual, both silver, both pretty stock...it's nothing personal of course, just I've never got into these forum things yet. Guess I have now!

I'm just after some advice really. I've tried the sensible route since my last Supra: Mazda MX-3 - awful - lasted 3 months, and my current 4th UK Prelude 2.2VTEC. Awesome car really for what I paid with low miles and full history, and does everything I need it to, but...and it's a big BUT:

I can't get bl**dy Supras out of my head! So, do I go the sensible route and buy another SZ (thinking sathorburn's old one now up for sale again, or similar), go the whole hog and find a reasonable RZ/GZ in the region of 7k, or compromise with an SZ-R? If anyone has owned both an n/a and a tt, what sort or diffs in running costs are there between the 3, assuming they are all running pretty stock? :confused:

Help, before the missus brains me for my indecision...:slapped:

It depends on how much milage you do, is it going to be a daily driver etc, if you can resist modding the a gz/rz might be a good idea.........but i doubt you'll be able to resist and it will take all your money....at least that's what happened to me.;)

My mileage a day is 50 miles, but that's shared with the missus and her car. She has a Micra (!!) so I've "negotiated" that IF I buy a(nother) Supra, we can use her car 3 days a week and mine 2. So, with odds and s*ds at the weekend, say about 150 a week.

Always ends up being more though of course

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to cars/modding - I really only go for stock (or near as dammit) cars, so I doubt I'll go down the big tuned route. Happy to be proved wrong though of course, money permitting!

I actually texted R1george today re his red GZ, which looked sweet (ok, it has a few mods, but LOOKS pretty stock!) for around 6.5k, but it's met with an unfortunate accident so may not be available for sale. Gutted :(

Not as much as him though I guess