The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone here use a CARCOON garage?

Jamesy

Size 5 is very long, unless you have a long drive than go for size 5, size 4 is the perfect fit. I bought size 5 once and returned it, way too long.

The only downside is cover the side mirrors as over time the cover can fade the paint work on the mirrors, happened to my Ganador mirrors, due to windy days.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Size 5 is very long, unless you have a long drive than go for size 5, size 4 is the perfect fit. I bought size 5 once and returned it, way too long.

The only downside is cover the side mirrors as over time the cover can fade the paint work on the mirrors, happened to my Ganador mirrors, due to windy days.

If you had the space would a size 6 be a waste/overkill or worth while?

I guess you could always protect the side mirrors with cotton socks :D

I was thinking a size 5 or 6 to stick the GSXR in there too. but the least amount of room on my drive this spaceship takes up the better I think

- - - Updated - - -

With the size 4 it must touch the car quite a lot though as its only 20cm longer the length of a supra - so essentially only 10cm front and 10cm rear?

I was thinking a size 5 or 6 to stick the GSXR in there too. but the least amount of room on my drive this spaceship takes up the better I think

- - - Updated - - -

With the size 4 it must touch the car quite a lot though as its only 20cm longer the length of a supra - so essentially only 10cm front and 10cm rear?

The width remains the same, I never had issues with the front or back bumper just the mirrors had faded over time.

I might put the Mkiv in the carcoon and take some pics!

Give me a couple of days to sort it and I will post some pics up and they I will know how long it takes to get them in and out��

Would really appreciate it, thanks.

I really hope its literally 5 mins to blow it up and deflate it otherwise its going to be a total PITA to use constantly.

I'm led to believe it doesn't take long. I have another car I'll put in it to keep it upright.

Found this on the net when looking for comparisons, it seems Carcoon is the best out there.

People who have experience with both Carcoon and CarCapsule (as I do) will tell you that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the two. Anyone can put fans on a bag and say it's the same but this is just not true. The sellers of the CarCapsule (at last report, made in Mexico but possibly now in Korea) simply took a Carcoon and had inferior copies made.

Carcoon features two, triple filtered fans (two dust filters and two carbon activated filters) and they use substantially better materials for the zippers, base and top.

Each winter we would replace a dozen or so CarCapsules for people whose units had cracked in cold weather or had actually trapped moisture inside.The base material on the indoor units is a very heavy gauge rubberised plastic that has been treated to resist oil, fuel and hydraulic fluid. CarCapsule has none of this.

The clear plastic material for the top of the indoor units is made from a specially treated plastic material to resist cold cracking and at the same time "loose" the wrinkles in the material giving it a more clear view of what's inside. I've seen some of the CarCapsules at shows that look worse than a linen shirt that's been slept in.

The drying vent on the Carcoon allows for two-stage usage. In drying mode the rear vent is open and the car is "air-dried" in 24 - 48 hours including all the moisture areas that you can't get dry after the car is washed. Once dry, close the vent and the recirculated air within the unit keeps the car free of moisture by gradually changing the temperature of the air within. Gradual temperature changes (and not just blowing nearly unfiltered air in a bag, as with CarCapsule) are the key to keeping moisture off the car.

How does the gradual temperature change happen? With the two fans and the plenum chamber in the filter housings that allows for the recirculation of the air already within the unit. But the filtered fans are where the difference in performance is most apparent. It takes two fans to adequately circulate the air all but the smallest units (the BikeBubbles) and a total of four dust filter ensure a nearly completely dust-free environment.

The inner carbon activated filters (two) filter the recirculated air within the unit, constantly improving the air within the unit. The DeLorean that won the Millennium Concours in 1999 in St. Louis was put in a Carcoon shortly after the show and not touched until May of 2005 when it was prepared for the 2005 Millennium show... it won again!

Note that all of the above applies to the INDOOR units, the outdoor units are even more robust and protective. Before you say that I sell them, I don't anymore. We sold them for several years until the exchange rate and shipping expense (they are handmade in England) went up so much that we could no longer afford to sell them without a significant price increase. You may be able to import one from http://www.carcoon.co.uk but I have none in stock and don't expect to have any for the foreseeable future.

I haven't had the time to swap my cars in and out of mine yet (as I did promise and will post pics of the mkiv in there when I do) but unzipped it enough to climb inside mine at the week end to take a look how well preserved my Mkiii Supra has faired whist stored in the Carcoon (it did instantly deflate onto the roof as I had to zip it up from the inside with me inside but within a minute or so it was back up to normal with me inside).

The car was exactly as I put it in at the beginning of December last year no dust corrosion on the discs etc.

I cannot stress how impressed in am!

Although I would like to see a drive in/out one that remains more like a tent.

I cannot comment on the life span but would expect a good few years at the price charged.

I think the filters have to be changed on a 12 month basis (they are only a few £'s)

Have you managed to find out anything regarding life span?

It seems anything from 6 to 10 years from what I've read depending on how often used, where located (in the wind, direct sun, which climate) etc.

Common complaints from what I read are the outside silver seems to wear off and the zips break over time. I'd imagine it's like anything - take care of it, keep the outside clean, then it will last longer. I'd be happy with £100 a year average to keep my car in good condition.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot stress how impressed in am!

Thanks for the feedback