The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT changes in 2012 - HIDs?

tbourner

I've heard a couple of people say the law is changing in 2012 and aftermarket HIDs won't be allowed any more. From here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

my take on it is you only fail if you have washers and auto-leveling fitted, and it doesn't work - not that it needs to be fitted to pass with HIDs?

Anyone else understand it more than me, and can advise?

Luckily the Honda has washers and projector lenses (but not HID reflectors in the casing, obviously), but it doesn't have auto-leveling, just standard leveling with a knob on the dash.

There are plenty of HIDs fitted as standard that don't have auto leveling or washers on there. My take on it is exactly like yours although I would add that it's most likely that manufacturers will now be told that all UK cars that have HIDs as standard will need to have auto leveling and washers fitted along with them.

I'm glad as 99% of people that fit them don't do it properly and end up blinding everyone on the road. I just flash high beam when they come the other way, funnily enough they don't like it when they are blinded!! I hate people who bodge mods on their cars, if you can't do it right then don't do it at all. But there are too many thoughtless cheap skates about that couldn't care less if they cause a fatal accident as long as they look cool :rolleyes:

Agree, but I also want to be legal! I wouldn't do it to a car with reflector lenses I don't think, even with my projectors I'm dubious because the reflectors in the back are designed around filament bulbs, at least I've got the metal plate thing that cuts off the blue tinge light at the top.

Hello i have a j spec supra with the plastic headlights and am looking at ungranding my lights to HID ones have had look on ebay and other shops and their is so many to choose from so was wondering if people could recommend a good make to go which are road legal please? also what sort of cost am i looking at aswell

I had my HID's in for my MOT and was told for now it will pass but in 2012 they will be made illegal and will not pass the MOT. If you have HID's fitted to your car you need them to fit into very strict guidelines like projector lenses, auto leveling, headlamp washers etc. Unless they are manufacture fitted like on new cars such as audi, bmw etc then for one, it's gonna be hard to meet all the requirements and also you'll more than likely get pulled by the police alot and be questioned on your MOT.

In my opinion I love HID's and think standard bulbs look dated and yellow. But for all the hassle you can just spend a bit more money on better quality bulbs that can be just as effective.

I recently brought some HID's but brought the 4.3K ones, fitted to UK Spec lights they look very close to the OEM bulbs in colour but the light output is quite hugely different. As it is an import how would they deal with this? As some cars were factory fitted with HID's without auto levelling & washers? Would they then be asked to have aftermarket headlights?

From the gov link I posted:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

Important points highlighted. To me this means if they're not fitted (from standard) then it can't fail for them not working, so retrofit HIDs are still legal and fine. I think the change is that washers and levellers used to be just notice items rather than failure items.

Is that how other people read it? Anyone work in a garage and heard officially that it should fail without them?

From the gov link I posted:

Important points highlighted. To me this means if they're not fitted (from standard) then it can't fail for them not working, so retrofit HIDs are still legal and fine. I think the change is that washers and levellers used to be just notice items rather than failure items.

Is that how other people read it? Anyone work in a garage and heard officially that it should fail without them?

Sorry my bad, I skim read the link.

I read it like that as well, they also mentioning that they can't test the auto levelling system so the benefit of the doubt must be given so that leaves just testing the headlight washer units (which UK specs have).

My next question would be if I stated my import came with stock HID's what would they do? I assume they don't have a register to confirm it. The unit itself looks very OEM & is also very slim so can be mounted under the headlights so you can't see it on visual inspection.

Just thinking out loud here. :)

If you've got 4300K HIDs you could take it to Kwik-Fit, the monkeys in there will just say "They not HIDs cos they is white not blue init". :D
"Innit brav, yaur car is sicck though" :D

I went with 4300K after reading your thread a few days ago, hoping it would look stockish.