The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safer Driving Tips - **PLEASE READ**

Class One

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I went for an overtake the other day (slow lorry) which took me across hatched markings. As the 2nd turbo came in in 3rd, the back end started to step out a bit, but luckily I managed to get it back in line with no dramas. Just a slight lapse in concentration and not realising they'd let go so easily on the white lines.

I went for an overtake the other day (slow lorry) which took me across hatched markings. As the 2nd turbo came in in 3rd, the back end started to step out a bit, but luckily I managed to get it back in line with no dramas. Just a slight lapse in concentration and not realising they'd let go so easily on the white lines.

Were you supposed to be overtaking there?:sly:

1st post 12th paragraph down, did you just ignore that bit :p

Were you supposed to be overtaking there?:sly:

Probably not :D. Well it's a really wide road and there's a lane for oncoming traffic to turn right and there was nothing coming. It would have been all right if I'd have not given it so much power or it was dry :D

1st post 12th paragraph down, did you just ignore that bit :p

Hehe, maybe :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Well this thread and the linked crash threads have almost put me off buying one.

Almost!

Very sobering reading.

Dont be put off ant.............. :)

most crashes are caused by driver error (even though they blame black ice, diesel and the old I was only doing 40mph)!!!!

You can crash and total any car if you dont drive in the correct manner.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The bit about aquaplaning is so true. Had that happen to me when I was driving my now sold jzx100 Chaser on a day of biblical rainfall. My rear tires went over a shallow puddle and being 'Kumho' lost traction and I started sliding from left to right in the middle of a 2-way motorway during rush hour. Anyone that has been to Hong kong will know how busy the streets are during that time of day. The car had so much torque being a 400 BHP drift car that this happens even on a dry road. Almost went into the incoming traffic on the opposite side of the road and a 3 foot thick concrete barrier on the other. I let my foot off the throttle and the car straighten itself out. Caused quite a scene and luckily there was no police around. At the time I had just gotten my license and still had my (L plate in the UK) or P plate in HK and was inexperienced with high powered rwd cars. So please be extra careful and follow the advice on this thread if you are new to driving a car of such nature. The guy i sold the chaser to wasn't careful and wrote it off within 2 weeks of buying it from me, also on a rainy day. I really regret selling that car to this day. It was the only yr 2000 genuine 5 speed MT JZX100 Tourer V in the city used by Top Gear when the tour came in 09 for the drift demo, So be aware when driving your pride and joy. Thanks for the read.

my chaser crash 1.jpgmy chaser crash 2.jpgmy chaser crash 3.jpgmy chaser crash 4.jpgmy chaser crash 6.jpgmy chaser crash 7.jpg

Edited by JZ480 (see edit history)

The bit about aquaplaning is so true. Had that happen to me when I was driving my now sold jzx100 Chaser on a day of biblical rainfall. My rear tires being 'Kumho' lost traction and I started sliding from left to right in the middle of a 2-way motorway during rush hour. Anyone that has been to Hong kong will know how busy the streets are during that time of day. The car had so much torque having over 400 BHP that this happens even on a dry road. Almost went into the incoming traffic on the opposite side of the road and a 3 foot thick concrete barrier on the other. I let my foot off the throttle and the car straighten itself out. Caused quite a scene and luckily there was no police around. At the time I had just gotten my license and still had my (L plate in the UK) or P plate in HK and was inexperienced with high powered rwd cars. So please be extra careful and follow the advice on this thread if you are new to driving a car of such nature. The guy i sold the chaser to wasn't careful and wrote it off within 2 weeks of buying it from me, also on a rainy day.

Sounds like a lucky escape mate.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I know its somewhat a resurrection... but wow.

My little MX5 only has 140hp and I have lost the back end a handful of times already (never come close to an accident, just a dabble of opposite lock). Every time it has been adverse conditions and me pushing my luck with the loud pedal in a corner. Seeing some of these cars definitely makes you think.

I would definitely recommend to everyone to do at least one track day/wet grip session though. Once I had done a few track days it became obvious to me that there is positively no way you can recreate the adrenaline of being on track while you're driving on the Queens roads. I learnt so much about my driving and my car the first time I took it out on track.

Not sure I would be willing to take the risk on a track day with a Supra though :D

• 2 months later...