The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The definitive battery thread

Ian C

Having had a tired old jap battery in my 11 year old Supe, (it really looks like the original, but surely cant be, no signs of any tampering with the clamp screws???) I then spent a couple of wasted trips to Halfrauds, followed by a fair few hours researching on here and Googling batteries :rolleyes: I ventured to my local independent garage. My old Jap battery was the smaller version, and the terminal posts the thin type - a double whammy for trying to get a simple replacement. The battery clamp looked like a modification might be required too - triple whammy :eyebrows:

However, my replacement was a Bosch battery (an S4 004) with an ETN reference of 560 409 054. To those who have needed to research, this means it has a capacity of 60ah and a Cold Cranking performance of 540 amps, which is just above the Halfords HCB005 battery. I did find an S5 004 or S5 005 would have had a higher rating, but cost about £15 more. The S4 005 and S5 005 are slightly taller batteries, and I didnt get to find out if they would have fitted under the battery clamp or not. I have a sneaking suspicion that they would, as the original clamp that has been refitted looks as though it is tightened a little more than previously.

I chose (needed!) to do have the battery terminal connectors replaced too, so that for any future battery change meant I could easily put a UK battery in, as the terminal posts are thicker than the Jap battery terminal clamps would safely allow.

The best bit though was that the battery clamp did not need to be modified, (or smashed about!) - it was a miracle that the handle on the top of the battery allowed enough space for the clamp edges to sit perfectly :)

Cost of battery was £86, replacement connectors (soldered and fitted neatly) £7, and half an hour's labour at the garage (£26). Obviously a bit more than a bog-standard battery change, but at least it looks neater, and will not be the major headache should I need a battery replaced again - I've had Bosch in the past, and only ever put them into cars I've bought, never needed to take one back nor get it renewed. Fingers crossed that they are still good - or better :D

Supra battery.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is the replacement Yuasa battery I used on my NA auto, I got mine from AllParts and didnt require the terminals to changed :thumbs:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=104145&d=1264355621

It's battery replacement time for me. :) Wez, does that battery say "260 cold crank amps" on it? I must be mis-reading it because that sounds very low.

It's battery replacement time for me. :) Wez, does that battery say "260 cold crank amps" on it? I must be mis-reading it because that sounds very low.

Not sure :search:

I can check later but I think its all Jap writing from memory. Suprisingly the 2JZ-GTE doesnt require that much to crank it over, my single runs a Valery RedTop 25 ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't write off Mr. T for a replacement battery. After ringing around today I got part number T28800-YZZJA (aka 28800-42030) for £51.01. That was with a 15% discount but its still a reasonably priced battery. CCA is 560A

The battery they got out of stores first was the same height and width but the length was slightly more so they went away and came back with one with dimensions exactly the same as Halfords' HCB005. However when I fitted it I noticed that the battery tray is about 1/2" longer than the battery so I'm wondering if the first battery they brought out would have fitted after all. For reference that one had a CCA of 620A.

I got one from toyota 2 weeks ago, T28800-YZZJC for £65 inc vat, the battery is huge and fits perfectly, cranks at 620a :)

Yep, that sounds like the one I was offered initially. Looks like I've bought the wrong one, even though it was excatly the same size as the Halfords HCB005!

• 3 months later...
Did you have to change the terminals for the battery from toyota as im thinking of picking one up tomorrow :)

If you have a jspec with the original small jspec terminals and purchase a UK battery from Halfords you will need to change the terminals, this is why I went for a replacement Yuasa available from All Parts ;)

Strangely enough, I need a new battery like rest of you. I had looked at Halfords but the HCB005 is now £89.99, not sure I want to pay that much! I'm gonna ring Mr T and see what they offer and how much is the pain.

Halfords is overpriced IMO. I'm still shocked that they're usually the only show in town at what they do (i.e. big-shop-format motor spares). There's motor factors of course: fine for the likes of us but their trade-counter style probably puts off a lot of car non-enthusiasts.

• 8 months later...