The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Install a Speedo Convertor and Delimiter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
hi steve my dials are exactly like the ones in your pic(180mph max) i think it has been converted? may be wrong. apart from getting 3 points speeding is there a way i can see if its been de-imited??

as always thanks very much

Sounds like it's been converted then. :)

Using a rolling road or heading to a private road/track day are the only legal & safe ways you'll find out if you've been delimited or not.

• 2 months later...

erm...am sat in my drivers seat at the moment after taking for a second test drive....and speedo& odo refuse to work let alone even read out kph or mph!lol! all connected up correct...well we'll see after(if) i get a reply!lol!

things i suspect are possibly wrong type of electircal wire used for join for white between the speedo&odo.im using 1mm(squared the lil 2 behind mm) is this ok?

and reference the red and black wires from the dsc+tsd do they connect into the sockets or should they be attached to the already existing wires?

many thanks in advance!

righty oh! got the speedo reading out mph now! =) chuffed to bits but the odo seems to still be reading out in kph...i believe this is down to the wire im using to connect the white wire between the speedo&odometer.any advice on what size wire i should b using for that join& the yellow wire to the ecu? again any help would greatly b appreciated! thank you =)

righty oh! got the speedo reading out mph now! =) chuffed to bits but the odo seems to still be reading out in kph...i believe this is down to the wire im using to connect the white wire between the speedo&odometer.any advice on what size wire i should b using for that join& the yellow wire to the ecu? again any help would greatly b appreciated! thank you =)

wire that is at least as thick as those coming off the convertor, that should be sufficient. Also watch that you don't have any powered items too cose to the wires, especially things like el-glo lighting.

cheers steve! all sorted, all tried tested and passed =) chuffed to bits it works! turned out it was the wire. was a bit bigger than the wires from the dsc+tsd. as soon as i fitted smaller close to the wires in use it worked straight away! after patiently removing the old solder&then re-soldering!lol! u were when you said best to check it all works before u solder.i advise anyone about to undertake this cross-over the wires and check it works before u solder;)

cracking write up steve! cheers fella!

• 1 month later...

I've read through this thread and found no mention as to whether fitment is exactly the same for facelift? Also, on Thor's site, it only lists it for TT? Can it be used?

Also, Mine already seems to be delimited (Goes past 180Kph) so can I just use the converter side and not the limiter?

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. Right, I've fitted this to my NA Facelift, I used a pre-facelift version from a member on here, wires up exactly the same. I didn't use the delimiter as mine already has one somewhere, but just to let people know I don't think there is a difference between facelift / non facelift / tt / NA etc!!!

Edited by Crockett512
Updated after wiring up! (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

great write up, im just puzzled as to what bit of the info i need

my lil n/a has allready been delimited and speeds in mph but speaking to homer at reading meet few weeks back sounds like the power steering bit hasnt been done since the car is handling like a bungalow

anyone able to point me to the right bit please

im finding it a little confusing :search::help:

• 1 year later...
If you don't want to convert anything, just buy the delimter chip and save yourself a few quid (the combined delimit AND convertor costs a bit extra).

If you do want to convert either the speedo or the ODO, but not the other, you just connect whatever you want to stay in KMs to the 'unfiddled with' signal (the BLUE wire).

Next week (promise!) I'll get the schematic finished off, add a few words about which wire goes where, and include the options you have regarding speedo/odo reading in Kms/Miles, too.

Thanks for that - I wasn't sure how you calibrate the output signal. One thing that bugged me was, I didn't notice any adjustor in mine - the only thing that looked remotely possible was something with jumper switches, but I may be way off and what I saw wasn't anything to do with calibration. It's a shame if it's not adjustable as it cleared stated that it was in the advert when I ordered mine. Mind you, my speedo seems pretty accurate compared with a GPS readout, so it's not an issue unless I change the wheels for something with a different rolling radius...

Up !

Thanks for the writting !

I do not want to convert to mph, i ll just delimit the car.

BUT : my speedo only goes to 180kph... After I delimit, how Will the car react on the upper speed ?

Thanks,

Up !

Thanks for the writting !

I do not want to convert to mph, i ll just delimit the car.

BUT : my speedo only goes to 180kph... After I delimit, how Will the car react on the upper speed ?

Thanks,

I believe the speedo needle will keep going, past the end of the kph values, and loop all the way round - I think JamieP had a video showing his speedo doing this before it converted it.

Your better option would be to 'convert' the spedo as per the instructions, but change the speedo face to a 270kph one. (I think they are 270kph? - whatever the version higher than 180kph is!)

• 7 months later...

Will try here as SteveR has to many PM's :)

What wires are to be put back in order for the car to show and count in km/h again but keeping it delimited?

Leave the pink wire cut? And all others back to their original places?

If someone knows and has the time (and heart :)) to write in the original schematic SteveR posted please do!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers m8!

Thanks alot! I am supposed to have seperat FCD and DSL (TRL FCD,Thor DSL)

If this matters. Although I guess I'll be able to work it out if you help me with the schematic abit :)

Thanks again!

Did you find out whether you have a separate speed limit defender to the speedo convertor?

I you have the Thor all-in-one, wired in as per the schematic linked to from the instructions I wrote on page 1, then I believe you will need to:

• leave the yellow (clamped) output connected to the ECU.
  • DISconnect the white wire, and instead connect the blue (1:1) output to:
    • the speedo, and
    • the Odo

[*]leave the blue wire connected to the power steering

Have you got cruise control?

If you have then - I think but you MUST confirm for yourself - that you can leave the white wire connected to the cruise control only, and it will still let you set it above 70mph. However there is a chance it'll report an error e.g. a speed signal error and if it does then this too will have to be put back onto the blue wire. Of course if you don't care whether cruise works above 70mph then you can just change it back anyway. :)

• 2 months later...
Just read through this and it all looks pretty straight forward. I need to replace my Speed converter with a Thor one as it's faulty/cheap and nasty. Did an updated Schematic ever get uploaded anywhere?

Nope, but I was only going to recreate the Thor one in case it ever disappeared - just use that. :)