The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU (Basic Performance Upgrade)

Homer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around £1000 will get you the decat pipes + exhaust + restrictor ring + plugs. Then you need to think about the intercooler, gauges, boost controller.

Budget for around £1600-1700 IMO

well the good news is i think the Supra i'm getting already has an aftermarket de-cat exhasut, it looks that way from the pics anyway, so that should save me £500

• 1 month later...
can i ask whats the best mods to improve porfomance on the n/a please? will do complete engine rebuild next year i hope with single set up just got to the fund, but would like to do few bits to n/a for now so have more power and drive

There's not a lot you can do. There are a few threads covering it but for the £ per horsepower, it's not really worth it IMO. Save up and get a TT :)

i not going to save up for TT am planing to do few mods to n/a then get head reworked and new cams then next year pull block out and fit new uprated pistons and conrods then fit single turbo,am thinking of having 100 shot of nos put on n/a aswell,was also looking at bigger throttle body for now as that can be used on n/a and can also be used when turbo her, well thats the plan any way, any help would be greatful and by help i dont mean save for TT,lol

i not going to save up for TT am planing to do few mods to n/a then get head reworked and new cams then next year pull block out and fit new uprated pistons and conrods then fit single turbo,am thinking of having 100 shot of nos put on n/a aswell,was also looking at bigger throttle body for now as that can be used on n/a and can also be used when turbo her, well thats the plan any way, any help would be greatful and by help i dont mean save for TT,lol

Don't.

Either sell the NA and buy a TT, or do TT engine swap. Tuning the NA engine will be more costly, more complicated, and even if you fit a turbo you'll still not make much (if any) power over a BPU TT. Of course you could choose to ignore the advice of long standing members who've seen and done it all before...

i like the sound of doing engine swap as have found a company in japan that will send a TT engine with turbos to me for 2k which has just had rebuild including all bearing and seals so that could be the sensible path to take,thanx for the advice

I'd advise sourcing one through the forum, you'd have fun trying to deal with a company in Japan if the engine they sent turned out to be junk or incomplete.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to know if 0.9bar restrictor rings are available and what will be the outcome of removing the 1st cat, but keeping the 2nd one in?

Will this increase boost pressure and will it alow the turbo's to spool up quicker? I would like to only raise my boost pressure to 0.9 bar.

I would like to keep the 2nd cat in to avoid installing cats for MOT's etc, and I dont really want to raise the boost too high as I don't want to reduce the longetivity of the stock turbo's. If 0.9bar give's me a quick spool up and a little bit of extrapower then I'll be a happy fella :)

I would like to only raise my boost pressure to 0.9 bar.

0.2 bar probably wont give you a great deal of performance increase, but you will get faster spool from losing the cats. I have both cats out of my car and it has only failed 1 MOT for emissions, and that was due to an o2 sensor failure. If youre that bothered though, you could keep hold of the 2nd cat and fit it at MOT time (should only take 1/2 an hour to refit)

If you're going to do it, the go the whole hog. Full BPU conversion including boost controller, and boost gauge. And if you dont want to nail the turbo's then dont nail the car..... too much

Thanks for the info bud :) yes i'm going to get the whole kit off a friend on this forum. I'll be getting both de-cats, boost controller, 1bar RR, Thor FCD. All i need after that are plugs and maybe a fuel pump & filter.

I undertand what you are saying, but I would like to put my foot down once in a while, but only at a slightly higher boost pressure than stock. I've had a new o2 sensor fitted so I guess i can have a full decat done, but I just want to know how I can get the car running at max boost of 0.9bar with a full decat, RR and boost controller.

If you're fitting a 1 bar ring, then that will be the maximum boost pressure available - an electronic boost controller will allow you to increase on this.

If you're looking to hit a maximum of 0.9 bar, then you will have to fit a smaller diameter restrictor ring; something that will restrict the flow of exhaust gasses more. This in itself will only be possibly by a lot of trial and error, fabricating up numerous restrictor rings of different sizes then fitting them and testing them to see what the restrict the full boost pressure to. The problem with this will be that the ring you fabricate to restrict the boost to 0.9 bar now, will more that likely allow the boost to creep up when the weather changes ***somebody jump in and correct me if im wrong***

I'd definately change the fuel pump, and if you havent already then i'd look at renewing the intercooler. And if you really want some peace of mind, look into investing in an AFR or EGT gauge

Ok pezzler, I'll get in contact with Chris Wilson to see if he can make a 0.9bar RR for me.

I have recently purchased and fitted a Greddy FMIC, so it will be more efficient than my old and tatty stock SMIC I had previously.

Won't a Boost Controller stop the boost from creeping up regardless of conditions? Well I hope so!

I will be purchasing a Fuel Pump, which will you recommend if I'm only going to be going upto 0.9bar max? I'd also like recommendations on the Plugs too.

Thank you :)

No, plenty of people have run with just the second cat in place.

Is it still a good idea to use a boost controller to negate the chance of a boost spike or will this not happen with 2nd cat in place.

Also with this set up will the car spool up quicker without the 1st cat?

Thank you :)

No because a boost controller can't lower boost. Yes it will spool faster. I run mine with 2nd cat in, and get around 0.9bar so just go with that, no need for a boost controller or a RR. If for some reason the boost does go above that, install a RR but i wouldnt have thought it will.

Thanks for the reply dan. So how long have you been running your car like this? Do you have an EGT or an AFR guage installed? If so, have the readings been stable?

I think I'm getting a little confused with the boost controller business lol. I know you can't lower the boost if you have a 1bar RR, you can only keep it there or increase it. However I'm actually increasing my boost pressure from stock so can I just use the boost controller to keep stable at 0.9bar?

Thanks for the reply dan. So how long have you been running your car like this? Do you have an EGT or an AFR guage installed? If so, have the readings been stable?

I think I'm getting a little confused with the boost controller business lol. I know you can't lower the boost if you have a 1bar RR, you can only keep it there or increase it. However I'm actually increasing my boost pressure from stock so can I just use the boost controller to keep stable at 0.9bar?

You can set the EBC to 0.9bar but if the boost wants to creep above that, it will do. You'd require a smaller RR to keep boost constantly as stock pressure then raise it to 0.9bar.

You'd have to just try it and see I reckon.